Chapter Sixty One

Hunter ~

Hunter held Kenzie all night, keeping her on her side so she didn't disturb her injuries, setting alarms for pain medication and administering it to her every couple of hours. It was a restless night for Hunter, but it was something he needed.

His hands were swollen and Caleb had stitched up his knuckles where it was necessary, but the pain was a welcomed friend who kept him awake and alert while Kenzie slept.

With his eyes glued to her, Hunter watched over Kenzie, wrapping his large frame around hers from behind. He buried his face in her hair and inhaled her scent deeply, resisting the urge to squeeze her with too much force. Her back rose and fell against his chest as she slept with slow even breaths that were rhythmic and soothing as he held her.

Hunter had experienced a lot of emotional firsts with Kenzie, but this was the most profound. He had been forced to imagine scenarios in which Kenzie hadn't survived and that had done something to Hunter. Being forced to imagine his life without Kenzie made him realize exactly how precious she was to him. It put into perspective the things he deeply wanted with her - He wanted her home, in his house in his bed with his ring on her finger and his babies in her belly. He wanted to make her feel safe and loved and to erase all the horrible things she'd been put through by men she had trusted. It was an overwhelming feeling that he had never experienced before and wasn't sure what to do with - so he just laid there, soaking her in as if her touch was the only thing worth living for.

A knock on the door pulled his focus over his shoulder, breaking his concentration and sending his pulse skyrocketing.

"Grant's thirty minutes out." Marcus said from the doorway, getting a nod from Hunter.

I've been laying here for six hours?

Hunter slid his arm out from under Kenzie as slowly and carefully as he could manage, controlling every movement of his body to remain silent as he gathered his clothes and slid a shirt over his head.

"How's she doin?" Austin asked as Hunter made his way down the stairs.

"Good. Sleepin."

"How are you doin Sir?" Caleb asked as all eyes lifted to study Hunter.

Hunter hated the attention and wasn't ready to be vulnerable in front of his teams. He was the leader and he wasn't about to show weakness to his men.

"Fine. There anything to eat?" Hunter muttered as he sauntered into the kitchen, trying to change the subject.

"Bullshit." Banks said from across the room.

Hating Banks' tone, Hunter turned his head over his shoulder as he poured a cup of coffee in the kitchen.

"You got somethin to say, then say it."

"Ain't no way you're fine after last night - after all this shit."

"It's part of the job...you have a breakdown after every op you pull?" Hunter scoffed as he sipped his coffee.

"Man fuck off, you know what I mean."

I really hate the way you're questioning me in front of my men.

"You need to watch your fuckin tone Banks."

"What this jackass is trying and failing to say is - we know this hit too close to home and it's okay if it's got you a little screwed up. You can talk to us Sir." Kincaid added on Banks' behalf.

"I'm fine. I just need to get her home."

There were collective nods and silence in the room as the team accepted the fact that Hunter wasn't going to open up to them about his feelings.