Chapter Thirty two

*I included the song I wrote this chapter to. If you like music while you read give it a listen. If not, then skip over it and enjoy the chapter!*

Kenzie ~

Hunter's posture was rigid and his breathing was uneven and labored. He squeezed Kenzie tighter than he normally did and she picked up on his uneasiness instantly, putting space between them so she could analyze him.

He was wrestling with something big and it was written all over his anguished face as he looked down at her with more sorrow behind his eyes than she'd ever seen.

Oh God, what happened?

"I gotta tell you somethin Kenz. Somethin that's not gonna be easy for you to hear." Hunter said as he cupped the sides of her face and brushed his thumbs up and down her cheeks.

"What is it?" She asked in a panicked voice, watching him swallow hard at her words.

"I...it's...Walk with me baby." Hunter said suddenly, as he took her by the hand and started leading her further into the building toward the gym.

She clutched his hand as it engulfed hers and followed him immediately, looking up at him in complete confusion as he led her down the hall.

"You're scaring me." She said softly, getting nothing but a squeeze from his massive hand in response.

He stopped just short of the door and pulled her close with a deep scowl on his face as if he were searching for words to say to her.

"Kenzie...It's your brother...he's..." Hunter's words were strangled and seemed to be caught in his throat.

"Dead...Hunter I know this already." Kenzie said with confusion in her eyes as she studied his face.

"No..." Hunter said firmly as he brushed hair away from her face as gently as possible.

No? Did he just say no?

Several men were waiting on the far side of the gym, looking over at the door where Kenzie was standing as if they were waiting on her.

What the hell is going on?

"No? What do you mean no?" Kenzie asked sharply.

"He's not dead Kenzie." Hunter said quietly, letting his eyes drift over to the men that Kenzie had noticed.

Declan, Austin, Kincaid, Caleb, Pierce, and Marcus all stood there, looking in her direction next to...next to someone she didn't recognize...or maybe she did.

Narrowing her eyes, Kenzie studied the man standing in the middle of Hunter's teams, feeling her heart start to pound beneath her ribs.

"Hunter...who is that?" Kenzie asked, taking a step forward.

Wrapping his arms around her from behind, Hunter's large body consumed her from behind, and kissed the top of her head as he whispered to her.

"You know who that is." He said, confirming what she thought was a hallucination.

Emptying the air from her lungs, Kenzie took another step forward, lifting her hand to cover her mouth which was hanging open as her mind slowly processed what she was seeing.

"Im right here, Kenz." Hunter encouraged her from behind, but Kenzie could barely hear him.

Everything became quiet and still as she made her way across the gym, keeping her eyes focused on the figure in front of her. That familiar stance and posture, the mussed sandy brown hair and hazel eyes.