Chapter Forty Eight

Kenzie ~

James' house was huge and immaculate with rooms for everyone on the team.

Nate had claimed a spare room and set up a small command center while the rest of the girls sat in the living room with James and Austin.

The fact that Knight Security was under attack meant everyone was on edge and on high alert as they all sat or paced the living room, but Kenzie had complete faith in Hunter.

Kenzie's eyes couldn't stop drifting to the large windows and she scanned the bushes and trees, feeling like she was being watched.

"I got motion sensors and cameras out there doll. Nate and I would know it if someone was out there." James offered, clearly trying to calm Kenzie's nerves.

She gave him a smile and a nod as she walked to the kitchen where Zeus was laying on the cold tile.

Lifting his head as she walked in Zeus wiggled his rear end as she passed practically begging to be petted and loved on.

Kenzie obliged as Lexi entered the kitchen, unable to shake the worried look off her face.

"There's gotta be some good snacks in here." Lexi said as she opened the fridge.

"I got some pickles in there mama." James said with a laugh.

It was difficult to control her smile as Kenzie watched Lexi's eyes light up at the pickle jar. She was the cutest little mommy and the entire group seemed to find joy in her pregnancy.

Austin hopped off the couch when he saw Lexi struggling with the lid.

"I got it." Austin said as he took the jar from Lexi and twisted it with ease without any effort whatsoever.

"She loosened that up for you." Kenzie sassed, getting a smile from Lexi.

"Hell yeah she did." Austin said with a wink.

"You want one? Lexi asked, holding out a small pickle for Kenzie."

Zeus scrambled to his feet until he was frozen in a seated position with his ears perked

"Not you goober." Kenzie said with a grin as the rubbed the top of Zeus' head and took the pickle from Lexi.

The energy in the kitchen was light hearted but it was short lived once Kenzie and Lexi saw how nervous Natalie was. Nat was never one to openly express how she felt, but her emotions were written all over her face.

"I think I'm going to go lay down. Come get me when the guys are back and this is over." Natalie said as she stood and moved to a bedroom in an attempt to hide from her own feelings.

Lexi took a step in her direction but Caroline waved her off.

"I got her." Caroline said with a half smile as she followed Nat down the hall.

Natalie was still dealing with unresolved trauma from her kidnapping, trauma that she tried to hide from everyone, including Pierce. But if anyone could talk her down and make her feel safe, it was Caroline.

Lainey and Claire watched them head down the hall from the floor. Lainey had documents spread out all over the floor as she scoured over them, sorting, highlighting, marking, tapping. We had tasked Claire with finding certain names within the documents and she took that responsibility very seriously.

The room was quiet with light noise from the TV that James and Austin were watching and the rustling of papers on the other side of the room where Lainey and Claire were sitting.