Chapter Fifty

Hunter ~

It had been six hours since Kenzie had been taken and the men of Knight Security were on high alert.

Hunter had briefed the FBI who gladly handled the scene at James' house before sending Axel and Slater to retrieve Banks' buddies from the safe house.

Six hours. Six fucking hours at the hands of Miles and Jack.

With a cold expression and flexed posture, Hunter tamped down his rage as much as possible as he watched his teams set up equipment in a neutral site that Nate had chosen for them. It was a house deep in the hillside with no civilians in sight.

Austin and Logan were setting trip wire and traps along the perimeter while Nate set up a powerful mobile command center.

Everyone was focused and precise, knowing exactly how to set up a secured safe house on the fly. It was routine and machine like but it wasn't enough for Hunter.

His teams were executing their assigned tasks efficiently, but Hunter found no satisfaction in their efficiency. A deep ache radiated from his chest, sending ripples of anxiety and rage through his veins.

"Any movement on that tracker?" Hunter asked Nate who immediately pulled up the location of Kenzie's necklace.

"No movement. Looks like they ditched it fifteen miles from James' place"

With the map pulled up Hunter studied it again, looking at it for what seemed like the hundredth time.

They started off traveling North West and that's all we fucking know.

"Banks, you think he'll head back to Elite headquarters in Virginia?" Kincaid asked.

"No. That's too obvious. He's going to go somewhere remote to regroup."

"Any idea where that might be?" Hunter asked, trying to see past his deep distrust for the three guests sitting in the room.

"Miles has safe houses, stash houses, and allies all over the damn world. Too many to narrow down." Parker added.

"Lainey girl is picking apart those drives looking for coordinates of locations in that direction." Caleb chimed in.

Hunter noted a small shift in Eli's posture when the drives were mentioned.

See past it Hunter. They have information you need. Information that could save Kenzie's life.

"So what's his play?" Declan asked.

"Could be that he wants to trade Kenzie for the drives." Slater suggested.

The suggestion had Banks head shaking and Parker scoffed under his breath.

"You got somethin to say?" Grayson growled at Parker, glaring at him from across the table.

"I'm sorry. But you guys gotta stop thinking Miles and Jack share the same moral compass as you. They ain't trading shit. And if they send you a location or send up a white flag, I can guarantee it's a fucking ambush."

As much as Hunter hated Parker's smug attitude, he knew he was right.

"Miles doesn't leave loose ends...he's got no intention of letting Kenzie walk." Eli added, speaking up for the first time.

"He'll choose a battle ground that gives him home field advantage...a place that puts you out of your element with very little allies or support."

Hunter's upper body flexed and tightened until his muscles were so knotted they started to burn. He clenched his jaw and ran a frustrated hand through his hair, having to battle emotions like never before.