Chapter Fourteen

Kenzie ~

Rolling over with a sleepy groan, Kenzie stretched her arms and legs until they were fully extended, arching her back as she tended every muscle in her body.

Reaching one arm out of the covers, Kenzie felt around for her phone on the night stand, hoping she still had a few more minutes to sleep.

Her eyes adjusted to the time displayed on the screen and she shot up to a seated position in one motion as she pushed her messy hair out of her face.

Oh my god it's 11am.

Flinging her feet onto the ground, Kenzie jumped out of bed and scrambled to her bathroom to get ready, knowing she was supposed to pick up Zeus at 10am and was now an hour late.

She stubbed her toe and knocked her dry shampoo off the counter as she frantically grabbed for the essentials needed to make herself look half presentable when she had a sudden realization.

I know for a fact I set my alarm last night. I set two actually.

Making her way back to her bedroom, she picked up her phone and saw no missed calls or messages from Hunter.

He texts me if I'm 10 minutes late, much less an hour.

Kenzie narrowed her eyes at her phone and unlocked it, pressing her thumb against Hunters name as she rattled off a text to him.

Kenzie: Did you disable my phone alarm?

Hunter: Sure did.

Tossing her head back and rolling her eyes, Kenzie flopped backwards onto her bed and continued her conversation with Hunter.

Kenzie: Why did you do that? Now I'm late to pick up Zeus.

Hunter: You needed the day off. So I gave it to you.

Kenzie read the text and placed her phone on her chest for a second or two before picking it back up and typing her response with a sassy smirk.

Kenzie: If I wanted the day off I would have taken the day off.

Dots appeared then disappeared and Kenzie could help but laugh to herself as she pictured Hunter in his office glaring down at his phone an her bratty attitude.

Hunter: Normal people would just say thank you.

Kenzie: So you're saying I'm weird?

Hunter: The weirdest.

Kenzie couldn't hold back her laughter, not knowing if he was joking or serious but both were equally amusing.

She quickly put herself together in some leggings and a t-shirt before threading her blonde hair through the back of a baseball hat and heading up to Knight to pick up Zeus.

The parking lot was lined with trucks and large vehicles, letting Kenzie know that at least two of the teams were there at the office.

"Whats up Kenzie?" Caleb said happily, giving her a quick side hug as she came through the front doors.

"You feelin better today?" He asked with genuine concern and curiosity.

"Much." She said with a big smile, watching Zeus come bounding down the hallway toward her.

Crouching down to intercept him, Kenzie held her arms out and let Zeus kiss her face as she rubbed his black fur.

"Hey bubba." She said in a baby voice before rising to her feet.