Chapter Forty Seven

Hunter ~

Hunter had his teams on speaker as he doubled back to Knight security, meeting Bravo team in the parking lot.

"They blew out the wall in building C, probably trying everything they can to bust a hole in that vault." Hunter said as they strategized outside the perimeter.

"You think Banks convinced you to leave to give his old man easy access?" Marcus asked.

"That's exactly what I think. Miles is probably in there tearing that facility apart trying to find those drives and expects Banks to keep us away."

Pulling his phone from his pocket, Hunter dialed Nate's number, knowing he'd have eyes on the inside of the building via the security feed.

"Everything secure there?" Hunter asked Nate before they continued. He wanted to know his Kenzie was safe before they went any further otherwise he wouldn't be able to focus.

"Air tight and quiet Sir. Same for your place. No movement."

"Good"

"So what are we lookin at in here, Nate." Hunter asked, holding the phone so everyone could hear.

"Six tangos in the basement of building C and they're just...sitting."

The teams exchanged confused glances at Nate's words.

"Sitting?" Hunter asked.

"The fuck?" Pierce mumbled under his breath.

"Did they try to open the vault?" Slater asked, arching a brow.

"Negative. They blew the wall and made their way down to the basement, but haven't made any attempts on the vault. Like I said they're just sitting around."

Waiting.

Hunter was silent, but his mind was racing.

"Walk me through the breach. Did they lay down any explosives? Set traps along the perimeter?"

Why else would they be waiting around?

"Negative. They busted the wall with a small explosive and entered without stopping. They didn't lay any traps Sir, I would have seen it."

No explosives or trip wires...what else could they have up their sleeve that would make them so relaxed?

Hunters eyes started darting around the tree line.

"You got eyes on the tree line? Snipers?" Hunter asked, watching his men start to turn and scan along with him.

"Negative. Ran a heat signature scan just to be sure."

Miles wouldn't be so casual with something so important...unless it isn't Miles.

"You got facial recognition on any of them? Who are we dealing with?" Hunter asked.

"Miles and Jack aren't there. And I don't recognize any of these jokers which means they must not be heavy hitters in the Elite Tactical organization. Didn't pop on Elite employment records either."

What the hell? Wouldn't Miles have sent his best guys for something so important? Somethings not right. I don't fucking like this.

"Why would Gryffon send a buncha slap dicks to pull off an important job?" Axel asked.

He wouldn't.

Hunter crouched down, concentrating deeply as he ran through his current situation.

Miles sent no name rookies to retrieve something that could end his career. Not only that but they aren't even searching for it. They blew up a wall and then sat their asses down. No attempt to even look for the drives. Which means they know they aren't here. Fuck.

The hairs on the back of Hunters neck stood on end and he felt a sinking feeling in his gut. It was an uneasiness that he couldn't ignore.

We shouldn't be here.

"Why pull us away to create a diversion for this?" Declan asked.

Because this isn't the job....this is the diversion.

Before he could say a word, a loud noise boomed from the speakers of Hunters phone.

"What was that?" Hunter asked loudly as he straightened his posture.

Nothing could be heard on the other end of the line except muffled voices followed by heavy breathing.

"Talk to me Nate." Hunter ordered loudly, praying it wasn't what he thought it was.

"J-James' house has been hit. Somethin big. IED, grenade launcher...I don't...I can't s...I gotta. I gotta get to Claire...the girls.." Nate groaned into the phone as if he'd been injured, speaking incoherently.

As soon as the words came through the speakers, Declan locked eyes with Hunter before he took off in a dead sprint with the rest of his team hot on his heels.

Banks was right.

Kenzie...

***********

Remember even when the shit hits the fan, I still love you! ❤️