Chapter Five

Kenzie ~

Kenzie unlocked her apartment door and dropped her purse off of her shoulder the second she stepped inside. Exhaustion took hold of her on the drive home and she temporarily regretted refusing a ride from Hunter as she fought to keep her eyes open, but she powered through.

Hunter's words burned hot in her mind, playing on repeat as she changed into comfy clothes and curled up on her couch.

"I'm not your friend, I'm your employer."

The side of Kenzie's mouth rose up into a smirk and she shook her head again as the words resurfaced.

Whatever you have to tell yourself Hunter.

She turned on a movie and nestled herself down in between her large pillows and plush blanket, letting out a sigh of relief that she was home in her own space and that her chaotic day was finally over.

The movie she was watching was one she had been looking forward to, but for some reason it just wasn't captivating her mind completely. Her thoughts kept drifting in and out and constantly settled on Hunter.

Hunter is determined to convince me that he's cold hearted and mean, but I know better. I know what cold hearted and mean looks like and that's not Hunter.

A loud knock on the door made Kenzie jump at first, then slide down further into the couch and groan once she realized who it was.

"McKenzie dear?" An elderly voice yelled against the door with the sound of a cane banging against the wood between words.

Part of Kenzie wanted to just stay silent and pretend she wasn't home, but she knew deep down she could never do that. She was naturally a helper - a people pleaser in every sense of the word and she reluctantly untucked herself and answered the door.

"Hi Mrs. Houser." Kenzie said with a bright smile as she opened the door.

"Oh good you're home. I need some help with a few things, would you mind giving this old bird a hand?"

"Only if you stop calling yourself an old bird." Kenzie said with a laugh as she reached for her keys and followed Mrs. Houser to her apartment a few doors over.

Mrs. Houser put Kenzie to work, asking her to climb up to reach high shelves and get down random cooking items that she needed.

"I see you with that big mean dog quite often. I didn't know you had a pet. I pictured you as more of a cat person."

Kenzie laughed at her words and climbed down off the counter, handing Mrs. Houser the items that she needed.

"He's not mine, I take care of him for a fri...for my job. It's a part time gig. And he only looks mean."

Just like his owner.

"Oh I see. You're not still working at that bar are you? Please tell me you're not."

Mrs. Houser's expression was pained as she spoke the words as if working at the bar was one step up from working in the depths of hell.

"I'm afraid so, but like I said, only part time."

The truth was, Kenzie worked several part time jobs to keep herself afloat and the bar was by far the best pay.

"I wish you would find something else, dear. It's dangerous for you to be coming home so late from a place like that. A pretty girl like you."

Kenzie sighed and gave Mrs. Houser a smile as she headed for the door.

"I promise to be careful. And I'm not helpless Mrs. Houser. My older brother made it a point to teach me how to defend myself."

Just mentioning Banks pulled at Kenzie's heart and she hid her sad expression by giving Mrs. Houser a hug before leaving.

Kenzie re-entered her apartment and locked the door behind her, settling back down on her couch as she checked her watch.

Four hours until my shift at the bar starts. 

She did the math, knowing she needed to get some sleep before her shift started. 

Bar shift from 10pm - 3am, then picking up Zeus at 9am. 

It wasn't ideal, but it was doable and she tried to focus on the tips she was going to receive instead of how tired she was going to be. Her shifts at the bar were fast paced and fun with the occasional annoyance of drunken patrons trying to grope or hit on her, but it was just part of the job. 

Taking in a deep breath and pushing it out slowly, Kenzie re-centered herself by thinking of things she was grateful for. Sure her life was a little unorganized and exhausting, but it was hers - her choices. She could quit any of those jobs and find new ones if she wanted to. She could move to a different state if she wanted to. She could change her name or dye her hair to change anything about her appearance if she wanted to. Because her life was hers and she wasn't going to let anyone take away her freedom to choose how she wanted to live it. 

********

What are your thoughts on Kenzie's character so far?