Chapter Twenty Nine

Kenzie ~

Hunter dozed, laying on his stomach with one of his massive arms wrapped around Kenzie and the other under his pillow.

The job he and Bravo team had completed had clearly been exhausting and Kenzie could tell there were things that Hunter was holding back, but wanted to tell her. His line of work was funny that way, but it was something Kenzie was used to. Her family would leave to do dangerous work in undisclosed locations, carrying out tasks that they couldn't speak about or wouldn't because the acts were too violent to discuss.

Kenzie ran her fingers back and forth over the top of Hunter's large bicep as he slept, soaking up the comforting feeling of his arm on top of her, holding her in place. Her mind replayed every intimate moment they had just shared together as she ran her finger tips from his bicep up onto his shoulder and back again.

"That feels good." He muttered against his pillowcase in a deep gritty voice that made Kenzie's heart stutter.

She smiled and continued the motion, unable to sleep and unable to stop thinking about what they'd just done. Hunter was firm and commanding. He was bossy and dominating and told her what to do instead of asking her which on paper would be everything that Kenzie hated, but for some reason when the actions came from Hunter they were endearing. There was no part of him that wanted to suffocate her independence or steal her free will, it was the opposite. He was trying to empower her. He wanted her to tell him what she would allow and set rules for him to follow. After that he'd given her the freedom to stop thinking and stop worrying and just...feel. It was exhilarating and freeing and Kenzie loved every second of it.

There was so much trust in what we just did - in the way we just interacted. He could have forced me to do just about anything, but he didn't. He gave me so much power and took away my anxieties by taking charge so I could relax.

The word trust burned hot in her mind and she suddenly remembered what had happened just a few hours prior to meeting him at the air strip.

He's emphasized trust so much in the past few hours...should I tell him about what happened at the bar? Maybe I shouldn't. He's so exhausted, look at him.

Kenzie turned her head, trying to get a good look at his face as he slept, breathing heavy and deeply with his arm still around her.

"You good?" He asked without opening his eyes as if he could feel her staring at him.

Yes...no. I'm not sure. I don't want to stress you out after a job, but I feel like you'd want to know this.

Here goes nothing. Just be honest with him. Communication- that's what he wants.

"I um, want to tell you something that might make you mad, but I'm kind of worried that it'll stress you out when you're already exhausted." Kenzie said with an unsure tone.

Hunter's eyes instantly opened and he propped himself up on his elbows as his brows drew in and he studied her face.

"Did I overstep or do something you didn't like? You gotta use that safe word if that happens Kenz. I'm sorry."

His voice was dripping with guilt as he spoke the words and Kenzie internally scolded herself for not being more specific with her words.

"Oh gosh no, nothing like that. Everything you did was...amazing. I wanted to tell you about something that happened before I met you at the air strip tonight. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to tell you, but after what we just did...I don't want to ruin the trust we just built."

Hunter's head tilted to the side and he sat up, shaking his head as if he was physically trying to wake himself and become more alert, fighting off his own exhaustion so he could focus on her words.