Chapter Seventeen

Kenzie ~

Kenzie watched Hunter all night with a smile on her face. He hadn't only proven her wrong, he continued to surprise her throughout the evening with his actions and behavior. It was new and quite frankly, adorable.

She noticed him studying her, analyzing her movements and reactions like a robot collecting research and storing it in a database. It was endearing and Kenzie couldn't get enough of it.

Hunter would gently touch her and sweep his eyes over her to gauge her reaction. Sure he was engaged in conversation and hanging out with the group, but he was conducting research on the side. The sweetest research.

If she flinched or shifted her weight, he'd move or stop, displaying his complete respect for her boundaries.

Seeing a man of his size - someone who could easily overpower and take anything he wanted to - act with such concern for consent and preference did something to Kenzie. It was unlike anything she'd ever experienced and it made her whole body warm from the inside out.

The night was starting to wind down and Kenzie was definitely feeling a buzz from the multiple drinks she had consumed.

Everywhere she stepped, she felt a large hand grasp her arm or waist to steady her and every small sensation of contact put a smile on Kenzie's face.

She wasn't naive and didn't expect Hunter to transform into a hopeless romantic in a matter of hours, but it was obvious that he was making an effort and that meant something big to Kenzie. She wasn't going to force him out of his comfort zone or try to change him into someone he wasn't, but the fact that he was willing to do those things for her spoke volumes.

They sat next to each other in a booth, laughing at Pierce and Caleb who were arriving about something ridiculous, causing the entire group to break out into contagious laughter.

Kenzie had her head thrown back as she let out a big laugh that made her sides hurt, and while Hunter wasn't laughing, he was smiling ear to ear.

He placed one of his massive, calloused hands on Kenzie's thigh, letting it barely graze her skin.

He's trying to see if I'll pull away or move from underneath his hand. It's okay tough guy, I don't mind your hand there.

Kenzie grinned without looking at him, and placed her hand on top of his, forcing him to make complete contact with her skin. She uncrossed her legs and let Hunter wrap his fingers around the inside of her thigh as they sat and listened to the group exchange one last funny story.

It was innocent in nature, but the feeling of Hunters hand between her thighs made Kenzie's whole body come to life. Her breathing pattern quickened slightly as she took in a shaky breath and she caught Hunter staring, knowing he had seen her change in demeanor.

Hunters hand tightened around her thigh and he squeezed it gently as the two tried to pretend to be part of the groups conversation. Their eyes were settled on Pierce and Caleb, but Hunter and Kenzie had each other's full attention.

The sensation of Hunters fingers tightening their grip on Kenzie's thigh temporarily stole her breath, causing her to straighten her spine as she took in a sharp inhale.

Without turning her head, Kenzie shifted her eyes toward Hunter who had a smug smirk lifting up the corner of his mouth.

He likes watching me react to him.

Kenzie grasped the back of Hunters hand and slid it a little higher up her thigh, slowly.

She watched as Hunter froze and flexed his arm, feeling the corded muscles tense across her. His eyes darkened slightly as he glanced down at her and she realized he hadn't frozen in place because he didn't know what to do...he knew exactly what to do, but was trying to control himself.