Chapter Nineteen

Hunter ~

Hunter had checked on Kenzie several times over the next few days and she constantly reassured him that she was fine - that panic attacks were nothing new to her and that everything was okay.

He was comforted by the fact that she was back to her bubbly bright self, but it infuriated him that panic attacks had become such a regular occurrence in her life that she was this unfazed by them.

With his workload swallowing him whole, Hunter hadn't been able to give Kenzie the attention she deserved, but to his surprise she wasn't upset about it at all. She seemed to understand how much responsibility he carried at Knight and respected the fact that his need to work was not him choosing something over her. It was his duty.

Hunter had stayed the night at the office using one of the sleep rooms as he and Nate monitored Delta team on an op in a different time zone. The job was successful and Hunter was able to feel some temporary relief until he moved onto the next task. Constantly busy, constantly working because that's what his men needed from him in order to make it home safely.

Bravo team was two days away from a quick, yet tactically complicated mission and Charlie team had an op that would be underway in under twelve hours. It was going to be another late night, but Hunter was used to it. It was engrained in him.

Sinking down into a chair in the break room, Hunter sat next to Marcus who was making some sort of grocery list.

"Restocking the fridge. You need anything Sir?" Marcus asked, motioning over to the fridge with his head.

"Nah, but use the company card." Hunter muttered as he pulled a credit card from his wallet and slid it across the table.

"Where is everyone?" Hunter asked, looking around at the empty breakroom and taking note of the quiet hallways.

"The girls brought up a huge spread for lunch. They're helping carry stuff in." Marcus said, studying his list with lowered brows.

Good. Everyone needs a positive distraction and the girls always seem to put everyone at ease. Shit gets way too serious and dark around here sometimes.

Caleb made his way into the breakroom, drenched in sweat, clearly having just come from the gym. He flung open the fridge and grabbed the last Gatorade.

"Hey Doc, I'm making a grocery list to restock the essentials. Also, What um...what flavor tampons does Lainey use so we can make sure she's got what she needs?" Marcus asked.

Caleb choked on his drink as Hunters eyes went wide at Marcus' ridiculous question.

"I'm afraid I've got more questions than answers for you Mac. My first question being - what the fuck did you just ask me?" Caleb said with a laugh.

Marcus let out a sigh and rubbed at his temples.

"Red asked me to stock the girls bathroom okay. But I know she only likes the yellow flavor tampons. I got the green ones on accident once and she told me only yellow ones. So what flavor tampons does Lainey prefer?" Marcus repeated in an irritated voice.

Mac you big bumbling idiot.

"I don't know Mac, let's just ask her." Caleb said, still laughing as Lainey and Caroline entered the room with bags of food in hand and Pierce trailing behind with drinks.

"Whatcha say Lainey girl? You got a favorite flavor of tampon?" Caleb chuckled.

"Flavor?" Lainey asked with a huge smile as she arched a brow at her boyfriend.

"Yeah Marcus is making a grocery list and needs to know what flavor you want." Caleb repeated while Marcus was sitting there unamused and visibly irritated.