Chapter Forty Two

42 Kenzie ~

After a few hours of celebration and laughter with friends, Kenzie felt the emotional highs and lows of the past 48 hours starting to weigh on her. Exhaustion began to take hold of her as she sat on the couch and she wasn't the only one who was struggling to keep their eyes open.

Lainey was already out, leaning on Caleb's shoulder and Lexi looked like she was fighting against her own eye lids to try and stay awake. They were all fighting a losing battle and their struggle was quickly noted and addressed.

"Come on mama, let's get you to bed." Declan said quietly to Lexi who gave him a sleepy smile and nodded her head, giving everyone good night hugs before she headed toward one of the guest bedrooms.

"Give me five minutes to get her situated." Declan said to Hunter as if they had made plans.

Caleb scooped Lainey into his arms, carrying her with ease and said something similar to Hunter as he passed by.

"Ten for me Sir, then I'll meet you guys out there."

What are they talking about?

Natalie was laughing quietly at something that Pierce was whispering into her ear as he kissed and nibbled at her neck between words. He gave her a quick swat on the ass as she stood and received a playful glare and wink in return.

The last of the group was Marcus and Caroline who stood together, but weren't going to bed. They walked toward the back covered porch hand in hand, looking over their shoulder as if Hunter was going to follow them.

They are having some sort of meeting I guess.

Before she could ask, Kenzie felt Hunter's massive arms wrap around her before he kissed the side of her head.

"Ready for bed?" Hunter asked.

"Where are they going?" Kenzie replied, ignoring his question.

"I'm gonna get you to bed and then we are going to sit down and figure out next steps."

Kenzie nodded, but wasn't satisfied with his answer. This whole mess was centered around her and her family and she wanted to be a part of the conversation. She wanted to help create the plan that concerned her safety.

Picking up on her uneasiness that was written all over her face, Hunter addressed it immediately.

"Nothing you need to worry about." Hunter reassured her, giving her a squeeze.

Pushing off of Hunter's chest slightly, Kenzie shifted her weight so she could face him with a look of determination on her face.

Nothing I need to worry about? This is everything that I need to worry about. This is my life, safety, and family you are about to discuss out there.

"I should be a part of the conversation." Kenzie announced.

"No." Hunter's reply was firm and immediate.

Just as soon as the harsh word left his lips, Hunter's head tilted to the side as if he'd been shocked by an electric collar and he grit his teeth while scratching the back of his head. There was clearly a quick internal reprimand on his part, but it was interesting for Kenzie to witness.

"I mean...Kenzie, I don't think it's a good idea to include you in that conversation." Hunter corrected himself with a clenched jaw.

He's trying, I'll give him that.

"Why?" Kenzie asked, narrowing her eyes as she studied him.

Hunter huffed out an irritated breath and clenched his jaw even tighter, but softened his rigid posture as Kenzie rested her hand on his flexed arm and spoke to him.