Chapter 1 - The Mysterious Doctor and The Mansion

Arien's POV

I only found myself in someone's car with the moonlight, making the night sky a bit bright.

"I know a place where you can occupy a room. Would you like to accept it?"

"I don't really know, sir... Is it too far?"

"Not far by car. But definitely far by feet."

"I guess, I should see it first."

"Fine. I'll take you there myself. Meet me in front of the hospital after five minutes."

I remembered what Mr. Levid and I talked about earlier in the hospital. He's actually offering me to rent a room somewhere here in the city. But I think I was wrong.

"Why are we going into the woods?"I asked him who's just beside me, reading a science related book.

"The place where you might want to rent is in the middle of the forest. We'll be discussing more when we get there."he answered calmly.

I didn't want to disturb him reading so I just kept quiet. He has a driver who's managing the wheel in front and we're both at the back. I didn't hesitate to come with them for they seem to look nice and doesn't do anything to be suspicious about.

A few minutes after driving with just the trees visible outside, we stopped in front of a huge metal gate. Where are we actually going?

I took a peek at the front window and the gate automatically opened for us. Ooh, fancy.

A few more moments of driving and we reached a huge mansion and drove in a circular driveway. Woah. I didn't know the place where I'm going to stay is a mansion?!

I was in awe while I got off from the car.

"Surprised by what you've seen?"Mr. Levid asked for amusement. I cleared my throat to compose myself.

A maid welcomed us by the door and opened it for us. I was greeted by the dimly lit lounge. Wouldn't they like the place to be bright?

I didn't let the question out of my mouth. Maybe they prefer this kind of lighting.

"If your wondering about the place to be dim, I'm somewhat sensitive to light."Mr. Levid automatically said. Oh. Okay.

"Let's be seated Ms. Walter so we could talk about the settlement."he said, like talking about business.

Both of us were seated on the sofa, facing each other.

"Meredith, could you bring us some drinks? What would you prefer, dear?"he asked the maid and the last question for me.

"A cup of cold choco drink?"I said, hesitant. Maybe I asked too much?

"Will do. Please prepare green tea for me."and the maid left after receiving the order.

"So, if you want to stay here, I'll first explain to you why I let people rent here. I'm the only one living in this house, except for the maids, so it's always empty whenever I leave.

The rental price is pretty affordable, comfortable place, free meals and visits can be made all the time since, I'm also out most of the day. But be sure to limit the people who visit you. We don't want this place to be crowded.

So? What do you think? Will you rent a room?"

I didn't answer right away because the drinks came. I mumbled a 'thank you' at Meredith who brought it.

"I might say yes after I take a look at the room."I answered. I'm being really wary, eh? It's just that, I feel something weird in this place. I just can't pinpoint what.

"Gladly. Meredith, could you please call Eria? Tell her we have a visitor."he told the maid. She then nodded and climbed the huge staircase that leads to the second floor.

I just took the time to sip from the cup of cold chocolate drink. Mhm. It's good.

A few moments later and my cup is just filled half, Meredith came down with a girl that I bet was Eria. She looks beautiful with her long wavy hair and attractive face. I think she's a few years older than me.

"Meredith told me you asked for me, Sir Froze?"she asked the doctor and eyed at me briefly.

"Yes, I did. Arien, this is Eria, our only tenant. Eria, this is Arien, she's thinking of renting one of the rooms in this mansion."Mr. Levid introduced us and we both nodded at each other. But I think I caught a glimpse of worry in Eria's face for no valid reasons.

"Hi. Nice to meet you."she greeted. I smiled and greeted her a small, "Same to you, too."

A few seconds later, Mr. Levid's phone rang. He brought it out from his pocket and stood up after looking at the caller's ID.

"I'll just answer this call. Eria, please show Arien around and the room she might want to rent. I'll be back shortly."and he exited the living area and went out to answer the call.

"Arien, would you like to explore the place?"Eria asked me.

"Oh, yes. Thank you."I stood up from the couch while still holding the chocolate drink I've been sipping. It's too good to be let go.

"Would you mind if we go to the kitchen first? I'm feeling a bit thirsty."she said.

"Of course."I answered politely.

We headed to a double door in one part of the mansion. Eria opened it and we were first welcomed by the dining table. Beside it was the kitchen with a counter and chairs to sit on.

I sat on one of it while I wait for Eria. She opened the fridge and took a pitcher filled with cold water.

"Mr. Levid allows renters to use anything in here?"I asked out of curiosity.

"Yes. Except for a few rooms and his personal space. You can even cook your own food if you want, or let the maids cook it for you."she answered.

"That's actually good. Some landlords don't like tenants running around the place freely."

"Yeah. But this isn't an ordinary place. Everything great always had a huge price to pay...."

"Pardon?"I didn't quite heard her clearly.

"It's nothing. Too bad. I'm going to leave this place soon."

"Huh? Why?"

"I'm going out of the country. My parents are already waiting for me."she said.

"That's somewhat, nice but sad. I'll be left here alone."

"Don't worry. You aren't."and she smiled meaningfully. "Anyway, would you like to see the room?"

"I would like to."

Nothing disappointed me in this place. So I only ended up calling mum.

"Hey mum. I already found a place."