Chapter 27 - The Necklace

Arien's POV

It was deep.

Damn deep.

I know how to swim, but I just can't this time. I feel like I'm sinking. I can't rise to the surface and go for the pool side.

Is this how I'm going to die?

By drowning?

In a f*cked up swimming pool?

Great.

How can I be so damn unlucky? Just because of a dog, which looked innocent but actually deadly.

But before my life flash through my eyes, I heard a splash. My eyes were already blury so I don't really know what is hapoening.

Then, I felt a hand grabbed my waist and raised me up. I feel out of water and what I did first was to breathe.

I was catching my breath and still adjusting my vision when I heard a familiar voice.

"Can't you swim??!!"it was filled with anger and worry.

I looked at the guy in front of me, my vision starting to clear.

"E-Ethan?"

His brows were meeting, forehead creased, anger was visible on his handsome face.

"You were drowning! Damn it!"he cursed at me. I was startled. Why is he acting like that?

Finally, my breathing became stable and my hearing eventually went back to normal. I looked around and the others were just by the pool side, looking worried.

"I-I was j-just testing t-the waters...and...the dog...."I tried to reasoned out. But the cold I felt was enough to stop me.

"Stop. You're freezing. Let me get you out of here first."and he swam to the pool side where his brothers were standing.

But this doesn't feel right. There is something missing.

And it just dawned when I felt nothing on my chest. I put my hand on it and I was right.

"Sh*t... M-My necklace is missing....I-Its in the pool...."I spoke and looked back.

"Don't worry about it. I'll look for it."good thing Ethan was a bit calm now.

He lift me up and settled me to sit on the pool side. Afterwards, he went into the water again to look for my necklace.

I felt a towel wrapped around me and I looked at the person who did it. It was Liam.

"You were freezing. Are you fine?"he asked. I just nodded.

Jay went near me and offered a hand.

"Get up. You still need to change. You're drenched."he said. I took his hand while I hold onto the towel to prevent it from dropping.

I stood, with my teeth still chattering. Jay was about to accompany me up to my room. When I heard Ethan's voice.

"Here, I found it."he said while holding onto the necklace's silver strip.

I went back to him to get the necklace. To give it to me properly, he gripped the whole thing and lift his body up and sat on the pool side.

I bent down but saw a streak of pain on his face.

"F*ck....my hand hurts..."he said, pertaining to his right hand that was gripping on my necklace. I presented my hand at him and he dropped the necklace on it.

"Oh my gosh... I thought I will lose it..."

But Ethan took my attention when I noticed a burnt mark on his palm. It was shaped just like my necklace's pendant.

"W-What happened to your hand?"I asked, a bit worried. I saw his sharp gaze at my precious thing.

"Ask your necklace."he said and stood up and walked inside the house without looking back.

Seriously? Mood swings?

I walked towards the guys who's now eyeing Ethan's back, walking away.

Shawn was the first one to look back at me.

"What happened?"he asked. I shrugged my shoulders.

"He had a burnt mark on his palms. I don't know what happened to him but he was blaming my necklace."I answered honestly. Jake turned around and looked at me.

"Your necklace? Can we see it?"

"U-Uh...here..."I said and presented it on my hands.

They looked at it intently. Jay picked it up while holding the silver strip.

"I think I've seen something like this before...."he spoke and his hands brushed the pendant that was dangling from the strip. He immediately withdraw it.

"Dang, that was hot."he complained. My forehead creased.

"What do you mean by hot?"and I grabbed it from his hold. I felt the pendant on my hands and it feels nothing.

"No it's not."I told them.

"From my observation, it works like a charm. And it only works on evil beings."Jake spoke.

"What do you mean by—oh."it just dawned to me. They were vampires. Why do I always forget about things?

"We came from evil, Arien. Even though we are not so evil compared to our ancestors, we are still considered one. And the fact that human hates us, and so as our kind hating them."John explained.

That is, kind of sad. The mistake of their ancestors being monsters reflected on their future descendants. And even though those descendants are trying to be nice and doesn't harm humans, they are still considered as evil beings by them.

"Why do you have that anyway? Only witche—"Ricky was cut off when Liam covered his mouth.

He then went for his ear and whispered something to him. Realization was visible on Ricky's face because of what Liam was whispering to him.

"Ah..Hehe... Don't mind what I asked."Ricky chuckled nervously and scratched the back of his head after Liam let him go. Everyone was looking at him with an angry face.

"Arien, you need to change before you catch a cold."Jay notified me. I nodded continuously and went straight to my room to get changed.

After getting a shower and changed my soaked clothes, I went in front of the mirror to put on my necklace.

I looked at myself, and then to the thing that's hanging on my neck.

Why do I possess this kind of jewelry?

Is it to keep beings like them away from me? But it only works when they touch it.

Ugh. Thinking has always been hard when I can't find answers to my questions.

I shook my head and left my room.