Chapter 28 - Pet Lovers

Arien's POV

I was on the couch lying on my stomach, as I rub Jake's pet dog, Layla on her head. She has a yellowish long fur and long waggy tail. It's so amazing to think that vampires have pets. You know them being bloodsuckers and all, yet they do still care.

It was nearly three in the afternoon, yet I can't seem to see the shiny sun from here, the clouds blocking the sight of it every time I try to peek outside.

I'm currently experiencing a mild headache and a rise of my temperature. Maybe it's because of the cold pool incident earlier. I already took in some medicines from the kitchen cabinet and it should be working a couple of moments later.

Sunday is always my rest day, but I feel like doing something today, but I can't think to myself on what to do, so I remained unmoved on the couch and found this adorable dog to accompany me.

I heard footsteps from the staircase and looked up to see Jake, fixing his orange checkered polo shirt tucked in his shorts that extend up to the knee and his white rubber shoes. He's also carrying some small band of ropes in different colors and four dog collars.

"Hey there, Ari. Feeling better?"he asked when he reached me, also patting his dog on its head, he earned a playful bark from Layla.

"Not really. I want to do something yet I don't know what to do."I answered and sighed.

"Well, care to join me for a walk?"he offered. I looked up at him.

"A walk?"

"Yeah. I was planning on walking these dogs to the park. They also need some fresh air and meeting a few friends."

Oh. I thought it was something else.

What kind of something else, idiot?

Nothing. Just a plain walk and some intim—

Okay! Stop right there brain!

Duh. Isn't it your heart? I was only speaking for her.

Just shut up!

I somewhat had a long internal battle with myself that I forgot that I was having a conversation with Jake.

"Hey, Ari? You still there?"he asked, trying to snap me out of it.

"A-Ah...Hehe... Sorry for zoning out.."I replied with a shy tone. He lightly chuckled.

"It's fine. Anyway, you coming?"

"Uhm, yeah, of course. I'll be back in a few. I'll just prepare."I told him and stood up from my seat and went straight to my room.

I just put on a lime t-shirt with a cute bunny print on it, tucked in my faded jeans and slightly covered with my dark green cardigan which is unbuttoned. I paired it up with my light gray doll shoes. I don't really know if I look good in this get up since I don't even have a sense in fashion. I just wear things that I'm comfortable with.

When I was all ready, I left my room and only brought a white sling bag with a few important things in it. I came down from the stairs and found Jake waiting by the living area, clutching the thin ropes that holds the four dogs from their collars.

"All ready? Come on. My buddy is waiting for me."he said. Buddy?

I didn't ask about it anymore and just followed him outside the house. And there, I saw an obviously expensive shiny copper-colored car parked in front of the entrance.

Jake ushered the dogs in the backseat and closed the car door. He then opened the passenger's seat, also looking at me meaningfully. Oh. Okay.

I then entered and he closed the door. He turned around, heading for the driver seat. Once he was settled, he started the engine.

"Wait, isn't your buddy waiting?"I asked, confused. He looked at me and let out a laugh.

"What's so funny?"

"This car....is my buddy."

"Oh."why do guys treat their cars equally to them like their brothers? Sheesh. Can't understand them at all.

The drive to the park wasn't long since it was near the property of the Levids. And on the way, the dogs are obediently seated at the back without a sound and sometimes panting. What an adorable sight.

We both got out of the car and Jake opened the door to the backseat. He grabbed each one of the dogs and all of them are excited to see other people carrying their own pets.

We entered the small gate leading to the wide park with the clean green grass covering the soil. There was a path leading to the end with a few benches lining up by the side.

There were also some picnic tables where people eat, play and have their snacks. Some just put on their own picnic blanket and enjoyed the calm place of the park.

It wasn't too hot nor cold since the sun is up yet a couple of clouds sometimes block it. I noticed Jake putting on his sunglasses as we walk.

"Mind holding Heart and Bisco for me?"he asked, offering two thin ropes to me. I nodded with a smile and accepted it.

"Whoah."I reacted when they both suddenly moved around, dragging me alone. Finally, I got a hold of myself.

"Why didn't you tell me their strong?"I asked him. These dogs are small, but terrible.

He just shrugged his shoulders and held a wide smile.

A few minutes of walking, we got tired and decided to sit on one of the empty benches. Thankfully, the dogs also settled with us.

"How come you're not affected with the sun?"I asked. I've read some mythical books, and I know they should be afraid of the sun.

"We've been here in this world for so long that I think we suddenly became immune. And plus, I'm not a full blooded vampire. And another thing, my dad gives us some medicines to keep us from burning under the heat."he explained. My mouth formed into an 'O' shape.

"So, if you're not full blooded, then what are the other halves?"

"It's still not the time for you to know."he said with a meaningful smile. I tsked.

Suddenly, my sight passed by a corndog truck. That looks delicious.

"Uhm, can I go grab some snacks? I'm kind of craving for some."I said. Jake nodded.

"Of course. I'll just look out for these two."he said, talking about Bisco and Heart.

I handed him their ropes and walked towards the corndog truck. I ordered two if ever Jake would like to eat some. If not, then I'll just eat both.

But the compliment I received from the aged woman who was serving the corndogs startled me.

"Your boyfriend is really handsome. You should take care of him often."

Oh great.

Are we mistaken for being a couple?