Chapter 35 - Too Soon To Leave

Arien's POV

"A fever?"

"Yes. Based on my tests earlier this morning, he was suffering from addiction. And that led him into suffering from fever. In our kind, fever occurs whenever a vampire is craving for something he or she couldn't get or want. And as they hold in the temptation, their body temperature increases, instead of having a cold normal temperature. As their body becomes more hot, they sweat bullets and also experience extreme headache, leading to delusions and having tantrums or violent actions."

"So..w-what caused him to experience these symptoms?"

"Your blood."

I sighed as I recall the conversation I had with Mr. Levid. I didn't know my blood affects them too damn much. Why did it became a big deal?

I sighed again and continued to think about what he said to me earlier.

"M-My blood?"

"Yes. I also can't seem to understand why they are too affected with your blood. And I wouldn't want to try and find it out myself. I want to stay sane and dig deep through this matter."

"T-They?"

"You heard me right Ms. Walter. They. His other siblings were also affected when they smelled your blood and currently craving for it right now. For now, they are suffering from mild symptoms of the so-called fever, and currently in their rooms, locked up to keep them from attacking you. And I suggest to not leave your room before they're not yet treated."

"W-When is the treatment coming? C-Can't you treat them?"

"I am a vampire Ms. Walter. And even though I am a doctor, but only to humans. It is also my mistake of not learning about how to treat my own kind, worse, my sons. In just a few hours, one of the best doctor I've always known will be here to finally give the antidote to let their addiction and fever to disappear. Thankfully, she agreed on treating them."

"The only useful thing I could do right now is to stay in this room, right?"

"Yes. And for your food, Meredith will come by to give you your meal and snacks."

"Who's Meredith?"

"My maid."

"You had a maid??"

"No more questions."

"O-Okay..."

"Are we now clear, Ms. Walter?"

"Y-Yes..."

He nodded at me before pivoting towards the door but before he could leave, he told me these words.

"I'm afraid that I will end my service for you soon. I wouldn't want my children to suffer because of you, staying in this mansion. Moreover, you being their fresh human blood support."

I had a feeling that I'm going to get kicked out from this house. Great. Just great.

I thought my stay in the city would be just fine, but it all turned out to be full of mystery and darkness.

But I also thought, this would be the best thing to happen. I guess being kicked out of this mansion would be the best thing to avoid all of these chaos and just try to forget everything that happened within these walls. What happened in the mansion, stays in the mansion. And so I could bring back my old normal life.

Yeah. It is the right thing to do.

-

I just stayed in my room for a couple of hours, just sitting on my bed and reading one of my favorite novels.

From time to time, Meredith, Mr. Levid's maid who seemed so familiar even though it's the first time I saw her, brings me meals and snacks to keep me from getting hungry.

I'm slowy getting bored inside my room and decided to go to the balcony to get some fresh air. As I step out, I felt the chilly air of the early night.

I observed the forest in front of me with a couple groups of fireflies lights up the place. But what took my attention was the sudden movement I heard and saw a silhouette in the forest, walking away.

Who was that?

But before I could find out, I heard a knock coming from my door. I remembered that I locked the doorknob so I walked towards it and opened it.

Instead of seeing Mr. Levid or Meredith, a woman in her late thirties was in front of me, with her wide smile. She has this old scarf over her head, and old looking clothes. Her shoes were black and pointed.

"Hi, dear."she greeted with a raspy yet sweet voice, not leaving the smile on her face.

"H-Hi..."I greeted back with hesitation. This woman might not be someone who's normal.

"I'm the doctor Froze sent here to heal those rascals, which are his sons. I've only treated a few people who suffered from fever though. Anyway, are you hurt somewhere? Froze told me you need some treatment too."she said. Oh. So she was that doctor.

Should I let her in and treat my bite mark? It's quite hurting and throbbing right now.

She might have seen the hesitation on my face that her smile widened more.

"Don't worry dear. I won't do any harm to you. Unless you make me impatient and let me stand here in front of you for too long.."

And because of what she said, I immediately widened my door and let her in inside my room. She immediately sat on the edge of my bed. I just noticed her old and rag bag that she was carrying all alone.

"I-Its already old and torn. Won't you like a new one?"I asked her. She looked up at me and smiled sweetly.

"I always hold sentimental values on my very first things, dear. And this bag, is my first one to own, plus, it's a gift from my mother who died years ago."she answered.

She ushered me to sit beside her and I obliged, she then set my hair aside to gain more access of my neck. Her forehead creased.

"Surprisingly, your wound already healed. Has this always occur to you?"she asked. I nodded.

"For me, it's normal."I answered. Her sweet smile came back and the confusion disappeared on her face.

"You are one lucky lady. Anyway, at the looks of it, its not yet fully healed and still is a bit swollen. Apply this ointment to fasten the healing process."she said and handed me a small capsule. I opened it and it contains a white cream.

I muttered a 'thank you' at her before she stood and headed for the door.

"And dear, don't let those boys bite you again. Or else, you won't like the consequences."she said and just disappeared like a bubble in front of me.

I was too surprised that my brain was slow to process what just happened.

What is she?