Chapter 2 - Expect Nothing

Arien's POV

"In the middle of the forest? You mean, West Camerone Forest?"my dad asked, sensing the worry in his voice.

Thankfully, they weren't finish with the supper yet when I got home, so I immediately joined them at the dining table and told them about the place where I decided to rent.

"Why? What's up with that place?"I asked, totally anonymous about it while sipping through a bowl of chicken soup.

"Nothing. But isn't that place a bit far from your school?"

"Ah, that. The landlord also offered daily service to school. It's already in the package of living there."I answered.

"Can we check out the place? Just to be sure it's a safe one."mum said, putting up a smile.

"Of course. He's also expecting you two. We can go there tomorrow."I answered.

"Hey! What about me?"Andrei asked. He's just ten years old. Six years younger than me.

"You like to cook right?"dad asked. He nodded. "Aunt will let you borrow her bakery's kitchen tomorrow. Would you like to stay at her place for awhile while we go with your sister?"

"Okay.... Fine with me, I guess...."he said, a bit disappointed. He's just sad that he can't come with us, but he always liked aunt's company.

-

Sunday.

We rode together in our family car. It's a two hour drive to the city so I do need a place to stay.

We first got off at aunt's shop to leave Andrei. The place is closed every this time of the week that's why aunt can let him borrow the kitchen.

The sun was high up when we reached the city. I guided us to the entrance of the forest but it seems like I didn't need to. Dad's somewhat familiar to the place.

As we go deeper into the forest, that's when I realized that the sun isn't showing behind the thick clouds. It will almost look like it's going to rain.

We finally reached the huge gate. It took a while before it automatically opened. I told dad to continue driving. They were a bit surprised to see a mansion sitting in the middle of the forest, and that that's the place where I'm going to rent a room.

We stopped in front of the mansion and we all got off from the car.

"Are you sure this is where you're going to rent a room, Arien?"my dad asked to confirm things.

"Yes. This is the place. Too fancy to rent in, right? The landlord just want someone to fill the place. He's a doctor so he couldn't be always here."I told them. They both nodded in agreement.

Meredith, the maid was at the door, just like where she is yesterday. I bet her number one task is to welcome visitors.

"Is Mr. Levid here? My parents want to speak with him."I told her.

"Yes. He's at the living area. He is also expecting you."she answered.

"Thank you."

She let us in and I can already see Mr. Levid sitting on one of the couch.

"Welcome. I hope you are comfortable with the place."he greeted. "Please be seated."

Both of my parents sat on the couch facing him.

"Arien, Eria actually wants to speak to you. She's in the garden."Mr. Levid said. I nodded and gave a meaningful glance at my parents.

I immediately went to the garden at the back of the house where Eria was sitting on one of the benches. She sensed my presence and turned to me.

"Oh, you're here."

I sat beside her.

"Mr. Levid said you want to talk to me."I told her.

"Ah, yes. I did..."

"So? What is it?"

"You felt something strange right?"

That took my interest.

"What do you mean?"I asked.

"About this whole place. You felt something strange right?"she repeated.

"Yeah....somewhat..."I answered, a bit hesitant.

"I will warn you just one thing."she said as she intently looked at me. Because of that, I felt goosebumps all around my body.

"H-Hey...you're scaring me..."and a nervous laugh escaped my mouth.

"I'm not. Just, don't think about anything, but my warning. Think only about what I'm gonna tell you. Okay? Don't go further or things might happen."she said, sounding so serious.

"O-Okay. Fine. So? What is it?"

"Never, ever, spill your own drop of blood in this place."

"Wait, what?"what in the world is she talking about? Never spill my own blood?

"Try to avoid getting hurt. Don't let a single drop of blood leave your body while you're staying in this place."she explained, much more clear this time.

"But, why? I'm seriously confused right now."

"I told you. Don't go further. Don't ask too much, don't think too much. Just, think about what I told you. Always remember that. Because once you fail to avoid it, you're life will be in chaos. And I don't want that to happen to you."I can feel her sincerity while telling me those things.

"Okay. Only to avoid my own blood right? That's just easy."I said. But I know there's a reason behind it. And if what she's telling me is true, I wouldn't want to bring chaos in my own life.

"I'm glad you're easy to talk through. You can go back to your parents now. I also have a few businesses to deal with in my room. See you when you finally move in."she said and left me hanging.

She didn't tell me anything about this place. She didn't say any bit of words just to describe a detail in here. But only to leave me a strange warning.

"Never, ever, spill your own drop of blood in this place."

Just thinking of it, reminds me of something scary and horrifying, something bloody and dark.

I shook off those strange thoughts inside my head and went back into the house to join my parents. I would not like to think something bad about this nice place.

What's worse that could happen?

~~~

A/N

I told you that I'm going to update every Saturday and Sunday, yet I'm not following the schedule.

I'm still waiting for myself to settle with this book and also for other people to somewhat find this interesting and read it til the end. I hope everyone could vote and comment for support.

Thank you.