Chapter 48 - Cheeks And Lips

Arien's POV

The sky was slowly being painted with dark hues, a sign that night will be coming shortly. The stars scattered above the sky as the sun's sunlight disappeared through the gaps of the foliages and trees.

I look around as my schoolmates converse together with some blankets covering them from the cold. Some students are also preparing some firewoods to build a huge bonfire which was ordered by the teachers.

I gripped my jacket as I walk towards a couple of firewoods behind our cabin and took them to bring to the bonfire area. I stack it together with the other firewoods. I took another turn towards the back of the cabin to take some more.

But before I could reach the bonfire area to stack the heavy firewoods, someone grabbed it from me. I looked up and saw Ricky. He smiled and continued to take the firewoods.

"I can do it, too you know..."I told him. He just shrugged.

"I know that. But I would like to help you anyway."he answered and went towards the bonfire area to leave it there. I just shook my head with a smile and went back to take some.

It happened repeatedly until there was enough bonfire to ease the coldness of the students and camping site.

I walked back towards my friends who were sitting at one of the picnic tables a couple of meters away from me.

I was about to take another step when I tripped over a rock.

Damn it! I cursed inside my head.

I closed my eyes as I was waiting for my face to hit the ground when I felt a grip on my right hand and pulled me up in an instant.

The person held my shoulder afterwards to steady me.

"Are you okay?"John asked me. I was quite gawking at him, can't seem to process what happened.

"Next time, be careful and watch your step. No one might catch if ever you fall."he said. Still, I was speechless. I guess it was because of the shock.

He chuckled and ruffled my already messy hair.

"I'll be off, Arien."and he released me from his grip before walking away.

I walked back to our table, still a bit light-headed.

I sat quietly as Reina and Klarissa converse. Poly was busy eating some chips.

Wait...chips?

"Where did you get that?"I asked, noticing them eating some snacks.

"Oh. The teachers distributed them. Go to their quarters. Hope that they still have some."Reina answered. I just nodded at her and stood up to get some for me.

Students were also flocking at the entrance of the teachers' cabin, also hoping to get some snacks.

I heard my tummy rumbled and I groaned. Darn it.

"Hey, Arien. Getting some snacks?"a familiar voice asked behind me and so I turned around.

It was Liam, sipping on his small milk carton.

"Hey, Liam. And yes, I'm getting some snacks but, I guess, I won't be getting any. Sadly, I'm already hungry."I said and tsked. I was about to walk away from the crowd when he grabbed my arm.

"Here,"he said and handed me two biscuits and a sealed milk carton. "It was actually for Ricky but, knowing him, he can get some snacks on his own."he added and smiled at me before leaving me behind, speechless.

Too much is happening today, I guess...

-

After we ate snacks, I decided to have a half bath. Afterwards, I changed into some cottony pajamas and wore the same jacket before. It's really chilly and my toes are already curling.