Ryusei

Previous
"Yup, that's right. My adorable little brother that I'm so proud of." Adorable. Like a frozen statue I'm standing there. My lips are squeezed together in an horrible attempt of at least a expression as I'm pressing my fingernails into the plushy and my own hand. I'll probably draw blood or leave crescents behind if I keep pressing them into my hand.
"Well, well."

Yuri p.o.v
We simultaneously turn our heads to the new voice that joins our little group. The man has blond hair and hazel eyes. Just like Kaname, he wears a ceremonial Japanese robe, his color being red, and has earrings on his left ear. Why me?
"Both our No. 2 and No. 3 together.... Fighting over a cute customer?" He questions, his voice is gravelly. I barely manage to hold in a deep sigh at his choice of words. Talking like I'm not even there, I love it. I'm not even angry about it, just...tired. Tired of them assuming I am a girl. Tired of calling me cute or adorable, without even asking if I'm comfortable with it. Tired of people talking about me as if I'm not even there and acting offended when I react to it. Tired of my step-brothers thinking it's okay they can say and do anything they want to me. Point being Tsubaki kissing me and Futo giving me a hickey. Add Kaname with it, touching me without my permission. And still. I'm too much of a coward to do anything about it, too scared to offend someone or disrupt the flow between the family.
"Ryusei." Greets Kaname in response as the man comes closer. 'Ryusei' smirks down at me when he stops in front of us.
"So this is apparently Kana's little sis." My eyebrow twitches at his words and I clutch the bunny tighter against my chest. I miss Lily. She would've cheered me up with her sarcastic words and smile. Kaname chuckles at the man's words and almost gently corrects him.
"Little brother, this is Ryusei, Club Buddha's No. 1." An understanding look dawns on Ryusei's face and his expression is apologetic when he turns to me.
"I apologize, I hope you'll be able to forgive me." I give him a quick nod.
"Don't w-worry a-about it, I'm u-used to it." Probably not the smartest thing to say since Ryusei's expression changes to one of pity. My face contorts at his expression. I'm used to it, and although I dislike it, as long they apologize for it and move on, I'm fine with it. It is them making a problem out of it. Nine times out of ten they're gonna act weird around me, as if I have done something and they don't know how to treat me anymore. Sometimes, some people even take offense to it, like it's my fault I look like a girl and I shouldn't mislead them. It hurt. It hurt more than I let on when I would tell Ema about it. Because after all...I learned from the first time when people dismiss your pain, they are going to dismiss it the second and third time. Friendships go quickly down the drain that way. Ryusei seems to notice my mood and his smile turns more gentle before he turns to Kaname and Chiaki.
"That reminds me, you should both get back to the main temple."
"Huh?"
"It looks like we double-booked some customers. You're going to get yelled at."
.
..
...
"What?!" They scream simultaneously. Chiaki runs past me, taking off as he leaves Kaname behind. "Say that first!" Adds Kaname behind me, making me wince at the sheer volume of his voice. His voice lowers as Kaname turns to me, turning more reassuring.
"Little Brother, I'll see you again later." He smiles, pats my back a few times for reassurance before also taking off, leaving the two of us behind in the dust. I blink owlishly, my brain not keeping up with what just happened in the last few seconds. Well, then I will also be leaving since I don't want to worry Ema or Wataru. I turn back to Ryusei, planning to say a quick but polite goodbye and then get the heck out of here. I open my mouth.
"I'm pleased to meet you." He greets me, stumping me, "Kana was so happy he'd gained two adorable sisters, and was a bit saddened by the fact that you, however, turned out to be a boy." I realize I'm gaping at him with my mouth open en quickly shut it. It closes with a click. Hurt flashes hotly in my chest and I turn slightly away from him, squeezing the bunny in my arms.
"W-Well, sorry t-that I'm not a-a girl." I mumble a bit bitter, hurt and anger making my heart ache. I dig my nails into the plushie. If I continue to treat the plushie so roughly I won't be able to give it to Ren. In the state I'm right now, I can't find it in myself to care. Why.... Do I care so much about what Kaname thinks? What the brothers think? I bite my bottom lip harshly. Meanwhile, Ryusei has silently been observing my expressions. His eyes shows a faint sadness and sympathy.
"It must be exhausting...to constantly play the little good, innocent brother." My eyes fly up to his face.
"W-What?"
"I'm sorry for bringing this up out of the blue. I might not look like it, but I'm still a monk,"...No, you don't. "So I pick up these things, like people's troubles." I search into his eyes for any dishonesty.
"I-I'm sorry, but I d-don't discuss private t-things with s-strangers." He nods as if he expected that answer.
"I understand, however, man or woman, young or old, rich or poor, in the end, humans are all troubled by the same thing. It's almost uncanny." He gazes deep into my eyes, like he can expose my soul and secrets with just a blink of his eyes. "Humans are troubled by love." Troubled, more like want it so desperately it turns to greed. "Whether it's between family members, friends or lovers, it's always been true since ancient times and probably will be far into the future. Forever." He explains.
"Thank you." I thank him, not sure what to even say to it.
"Troubles concerning love are neverending, but you have no choice except to confront them by being yourself." He preaches, "because family is something that can withstand that and that's what real love is." Being yourself.... But when has that helped me? I'm a people pleaser. I clench my teeth together. Sometimes, sometimes I can't help it but to still resent Ema for not accepting me being me. I'm a boy. I use he/him pronouns. I'm gay. However, I still like to dress feminine from time to time and love ballet and make-up. That doesn't make me trans. That doesn't mean I am using she/her pronouns, it doesn't mean I'm straight, and above all that doesn't make me a girl. But.... At some point Ema thought I was, which I obviously wasn't. She stopped talking about it, however, I could sometimes still see it in her eyes whenever she would eye me when she thought I wasn't looking. And... I shudder in disgust. Memories of Tsubaki kissing me, acting all possessive as if I belong to him, Azusa declaring his love for me on the rooftop, Subaru wanting me to stick by his side forever, Futo talking about me as if I was some sort of possession he wanted to have. So.... Those were their honest feelings this whole time. My lip curls up in disgust. Maybe we are not family by blood, but that doesn't make it right. True, I let out a deep breath. I was afraid of confrontation and kept running away because I didn't want to be the one to ruin the bond between them, but that doesn't make it right to treat me this way. As if, as if I'm some sort of toy you can play with till you're bored and thrown away again! I squeeze my eyes shut. I wanted a family, but instead I got, I got.... Adults acting like horny teenagers after me.
"Yu-kun!"
"Brother!" My head snaps up in surprise at my name being called. From afar I see Ema and Wataru running towards me, both their faces full of concern and worry.
"Then, Little Brothers, good luck to you." I jump up as Ryusei suddenly speaks again and bring my gaze back up to his face. He tilts his head slightly and gives me a closed-eye smile before walking past me, using to same path Chiaki and Kaname went to their temple, his figure slowly disappearing between the trees.
"Yuri, are you alright?" I flinch harshly when out of nowhere a hand lands on my shoulder and feel a bit of regret at the expression Ema makes. Her hand hovers over my shoulders, her eyes full of concern and you can clearly see she's debating whether or not she can touch me. Even though... In a way I'm still hurt by her actions and have difficulty forgetting about it, I also should meet her halfway. My lips lift up in a careful smile and I step closer to bump my hip against hers. She stumbles a little before regaining her posture, looking surprised by my actions. I can't hold it against her, since I'm also a bit surprised by myself.
"Y-Yes, thank you for a-asking." Our moment is broken by Wataru barreling right through and would've jumped at me if Ema hadn't held him back. I don't want to drop my gifts for Ren, after all. I give her a grateful smile. Wataru steps back, a small pout plays around his lips but he quickly focuses on me again.
"Brother, why did it take so long? Did something happen?!" Ema also looks at me with a curious glance in her eyes. Should I...? I shake my head, forcing my lips into a smile.
"No.... No, nothing happened."