not interested

(2002) mikey's 12

girls gathered around y/n's desk, they all had something to ask or say. "can i help you?" y/n asked in confusion.

the girls looked at eachother for comfort. "are you mikey's girlfriend?!" a girl asked in behalf of all of them.

y/n furrowed her eyes. "girlfriend? no!" y/n replied back.

all of the girls sighed in relief. why's that? "okay, good. we thought since you were so close with mikey, you're probably his girlfriend." a girl explained in a playful manner.

"why would you want to know that?" y/n asked, closing her notebook.

the girls looked at eachother again. "we all like mikey!" the same girl shouted.

y/n widened her eyes. "oh."

a girl who hasn't spoken came forward. "since you know him very well. could you maybe, sorta put in a good word for us?" they asked in an asking manner.

"uh.. sure."

-

"mikey! wait up!" she called out to mikey.

mikey turned around to her voice. and he approached her with his hands in his pockets. like always, he would have that lollipop in his mouth. "yeah?" mikey waited for her.

y/n walked over to him. "so you know those girls in our class right?" y/n began, so he nodded. "they're a... wonder, huh?"

mikey squinted his eyes in confusion."spit it out. what is it?" mikey asked her.

y/n sighed. "some girls in our class... like you." y/n told him.

mikey put on a cocky smile. "well, i mean, i don't blame them." mikey said cockily.

y/n shook her head in disappointment. "just, give them a chance. they seem cool." y/n advised.

they both walked away from the school together. "not interested." mikey rejected.

y/n rolled her eyes. "then who are you interested in?" y/n asked rhetorically.

mikey looked at her. "no one."

(2005) present time

y/n sat on her porch step. mikey isn't interested in anyone. he cannot like me. and if he does,, i never thought about it that way. it's a lot.

y/n hugged her knees. "hey, stranger." a voice, mikey's, spoke.

y/n immediately knew it was him so she didn't even turn around. "oh— hi." y/n said in nervousness.

mikey started laughing for some weird reason. "what's wrong?" y/n asked him. she looked up to see if he was really laughing.

"nothing's wrong. i know you heard me and ken-chin." mikey sat next to her. "it wasn't someone you know. we were,, uh talking about someone else."

someone else? well that makes sense, but why does it hurt?