Disassociation

Four Years Ago

Hikari: Age 16

One year before Valkyrie

Warning:

Content Contains Dark Themes. Might be triggering to some

Lifting her hands towards the sky to try and touch the clouds, Hikari gasped to herself before pointing at the little puffy shaped one in front of her. "Touya, look! That one looks like a giant ice cream. Do you see it?"

Kicking her feet slightly in excitement, the girl giggled from her spot laying on the floor only to find Touya giving a light hearted chuckle back. "Are you sure you're not just hungry?"

HIkari felt herself puff her cheeks out in annoyance at that, her lips turning down in a frown before lifting a hand and pushing him by the shoulder with a huff. "N-No! I really see it. It's right there.."

The white haired boy only rolled his eyes though. "Sure sure, whatever. I get it already."

Knowing he still hadn't believed her, Hikari then lifted her arms back up towards the sky in exasperation. "If you don't think so then tell me, what do you see?"

He was silent for a moment, turning towards the girl who wasn't paying attention before his heart twisted in all the best and worst possible ways.

It had been three years since his little breakdown and Hikari had still vowed to never leave his side, foolishly might he add. No, in fact this idiot took the job as his friend ever so seriously, the two now meeting at least once a week to get away from their hellish lives.

And as much as Touya didn't want to admit it, it felt nice. Being able to have a place to come to, being listened to and respected. It was something the boy had never had before and the very idea carved into his lonely soul.

Sure, staying with her was selfish, so incredibly selfish. So much so that at first the boy promised he'd only indulge himself with these meetings once or twice and then never see her again. That would've been better for everyone involved.

But as days grew from months into years, Touya found himself coming to this rooftop even more, to see her goofy childish grin and hear that sweet beautifully gentle voice he longed for.

She was like a drug in all the most lethal and addicting ways, and this idiot didn't even know it. No, Hawks' sister still seemed to be as oblivious as always.

Feeling his voice soften without permission, Touya then stared at his newfound self with a gentle nature he didn't know he possessed.

How could he look at some stupid clouds when the most interesting thing was already lying beside him? "Well, right now all I see is an idiot."

Not understanding the implications of his words, Hikari only turned with annoyance only to find his ever constant cerulean gaze, staring so intensely that it made her flush with embarrassment.

Why was he looking at her like that?

Hikari then forced herself to turn away from him, staring back at the sky with a roll of her eyes in order to hide her reddened cheeks. "Vey funny, Touya. You know that's not what I meant."

She heard his usual little chuckle next to her a moment later, making her heart do an unnecessary flip inside her chest as he beamed. "No, but my answer was way better than yours."

Hikari couldn't help but linger on it, knowing that Touya's emotions were much more easily displayed to her now. When they first met he always seemed to try to shut himself down but now the two seemed way more comfortable with each other.