Two Birds On A Wire

Hawks became a hero for one sole purpose, to protect his little sister.

You see, ever since he was a child, Keigo cursed himself with his own inability to change the world around him. He would watch his little sister be beaten, spit at and burned by cigarettes from their own father over and over again as she cried for a rescue.

He had embraced her shaking body during nightmares and had listened to her plead for a better life and yet the small five year old kid could do nothing to make her desires come true.

And what started as sadness turned into an inexplicable guilt, gnawing at his tiny fingers day after day, desperate to control any aspect of his life before it was inevitably ribbed away by nightfall.

He tried so hard to be her savior, to interject their father's wrath, to promise her all the princess dresses and fairytale stories he could muster. But even still, it never felt like enough. Perhaps it was to Hikari, but Keigo alway knew those were just foolish insignificant things.

And with every kind smile or look from her, he could tell that Hikari was truly grateful for his attempts to be her hero. But that was never enough. She deserved more, she deserved so much more than what five year old Kiego could give.

So much so, the boy grew up each day hating himself more than anything.

He felt it consuming him everyday in that tiny apartment, wishing for the power and strength to finally be able to change, to bury the weakness in his heart in order to finally be the big brother that Hikari always deserved.

So when the president appeared all those years ago, the boy thought his wish had been fulfilled. He took her candy coated lies and stories like a drug, desperate to finally be able to do the one thing he wanted more than anything.

And for a moment, Keigo believed it, thinking that the hell he went through at the commission would be worth it. That's right, he said it like a mantra.They could burn him, beat him, strip him of whatever they wanted. He gladly took it all.

Just as long as he became a hero...

Just as long as he became her hero, he would endure anything.

-----------------

Feeling his leg start to shake with inexplicable nerves, Hawks closed his eyes as the secretary from the commission entered the greenroom, her heels clicking against the floor in order to slam a stack of papers in front of him. "You're on in five minutes. Overlook the report and read the cards that were written. That's all."

The bird then immediately took the papers before flipping through them like the loyal dog he was. "Anything you want me to say, anything you want me to do, I'll do it. Just as long as I can see her again."

The secretary only hummed though, her eyes narrowing. "Your love for that villain is unexpected. The president said you would have no problem falling in line. I just had a hard time believing you would do it for such a thing."

Hawks only shook his head though, his fingers throwing the report onto the desk before giving a bitter laugh of clear self hatred. "Don't do that..don't act like I'm so righteous.."

And he meant that with his whole heart. Righteousness? What a joke. That wasn't remotely what he felt right now. If anything, the hero only felt shame. Shame for being unable to do anything to help his little sister besides this.

The truth was, Hawks felt so helpless, that strange sense of deja vu coating his tongue in the most bitter way imaginable. It was suffocating, that gnawing feeling of guilt, consuming him until there was nothing left.