Safe Space

Rubbing his ever tired eyes, Hawks groaned to himself before the alarm on his phone rang through his pocket, causing the hero to stand up and feel the strain on his muscles.

The truth was the boy hadn't slept at all, allowing the various nightmares and past mistakes to weigh down on him until he felt crushed by them. The things that Hikari told him last night, they left him haunted and scarred.

I mean, how could he possibly be okay after hearing that his little sister was abused for the majority of her life? First by their villain father and then by that rotten disgusting gang leader. And he wasn't around for any of them. Some kind of hero he turned out to be.

He had told himself that he needed to be fast in order to never repeat the horrible events that happened to his sister as a child but now it seemed like history had a cruel way of coming back into his face.

Shaking his head, the bird then stretched out his cramped wings before sliding off the uncomfortable sofa in order to stand on sore legs. He had given Hikari his bed after last night and although he didn't regret it, his body certainly did.

Hawks then tiptoed through the hallways in order to reach his door and peek in only to find his little sister still sound asleep between his covers. Good, at least she was at peace. She deserved it after all the shit she had gone through.

Giving a sad smile under his breath, the bird then moved away from the door only to shake his head in disappointment. He wanted to help her, with her trauma and recovery but what could he possibly do?

It seemed like anything he tried ended up in disaster.

Just then, his phone began to buzz as the hero pulled out the object in order to find his daily planner going crazy with alerts and warnings. Shit, he was running late, the president was going to kill him if he didn't leave now.

He had a really busy day, with three fan signings, four meetings and city patrol he was already late for two of those. It was honestly surprising that the president hadn't called him yet in order to yell at his incompetence.

Cursing to himself, Hawks then shoved his phone inside his pocket only to glance at his sister a moment later and pause. He had to get going but what about Hikari?

What was she going to think if she woke up all alone? He couldn't do that to her, not after last night. She had been alone for so long, what kind of brother would he be if he just left after all that?

But then again, what good was he to her anyways? For as badly as he wanted to help her it seemed like he was just poison in her life. Perhaps it was better just to let her go.

Yet that's when their conversation last night rang inside his mind. No, he couldn't abandon her again. He had promised that she could trust him. And even though he wasn't sure how to prove that, the bird was determined.

Flopping back onto the sofa with an exhausted huff, the bird then ran an anxious hand through his hair only to turn his eyes towards the cabinet on his left and pause.

Just then, an idea popped into the back of his head.

Widening his eyes, Hawks then jumped from his spot before walking over to the wooden cabinet in order for a small smile to cross his lips. This was perfect. Maybe. Well, he wasn't sure but it was the only idea he had so he decided to roll with it.

Suddenly, his phone began to buzz once more, causing the bird to flitch before pulling out the object with another alert. He had never skipped work before, it was unheard of in the commission and yet as the bird stared at the screen, his feet didn't move.

They couldn't, not after vivid memories of Hikari's past crossed his ears once more.

Feeling his fingers shake on the button, the bird forced them to stay stable only for the president's voice to fill up the space that once held his sister's voice.