The Man Under The Mask

Slamming another glass onto the counter, Dabi felt the liquid crawl down his throat in warm lingering anesthesia. He didn't even remember when he first got here but the walls of the bar now appeared to be swaying back and forth in a mind numbing nature.

Yeah, usually he wasn't like this but after the last few days, everything just felt so suffocating, so crushing, he simply had to finally drown it out with something, and since there was no one around to murder, that meant filling it with alcohal.

First it was the fight, the one that caused him to put his hands on his best friend simply because he panicked. It was like some sort of automatic response, wanting to hurt the ones that brought up his old dead name, and it didn't help that she did it in front of Hawks of all people.

It's like she was trying to ruin his plans with that stupid move.

He didn't even realize it, the feeling of his slimy fingers across her pretty little neck until it was too late, until she was gasping for air and clawing at his hands to stop.

And for the first time, Dabi didn't feel overjoyed at the struggle. No, the moment he snapped back into reality, the man felt distusing, wanting nothing more than to end his own life and the sight of Hikari in pain.

What the fuck was up with that, huh? Getting so scared and terrified over such a thing? It wasn't like him, it wasn't like Dabi in the slightest. Usually the act of killing was nothing to him.

But all those other times, he wasn't killing her.

How pathetic, the big bad Dabi being afraid of one shitty little bird. How soft and fucking wipped he was by those little perfect amber eyes. He hated it, and he hated himself for being so damn weak.

He even talked to her idiot brother to check up on her, just because he was worried about her, about her opening the old wounds of the past and having to revert back to old habits.

And then, there was that call, that horrible call where Hawks said he was "grateful" to him for taking care of his little sister. It made him feel sick, so much so that the villain had shut himself inside for days, thinking about the implications of that conversation.

What was up with people thanking him, about wanting to reward him when he was in fact doing the very opposite. He wasn't a hero or some sort of savior. Why wouldn't they realize that?

But of course they never would, and that made Dabi sink even further into his own mind, the dark demons of the past suffocating him all at once until he finally woke up today and realized what day it was.

His death anniversary.

That seemed to push the villain over the edge, opting to finally leave his hermit lifestyle in order to drown out the horrible and lingering memories that had plagued him the last couple days. Hikari, Hawks, his death, it all seemed to come one after the other.

And that was the reason he was sitting here, alone at a sleazy bar as he desperately tried to disappear from reality. That's how it would be till the end after all, alone. He sure made sure of that long ago.

Just then he felt someone slide next to him yet the villain didn't take any notice, still staring straight ahead as a girl giggled flirtatiously. "Hey, I couldn't help but notice you are all alone here. What company?"

Yet Dabi didn't even look at the girl, knowing that the voice next to him wasn't who he desperately wanted to see. "Fuck off. I'm not in the mood."

This caused the girl to frown though, scooting in closer as she touched the top of his jacket, clearly not taking no for an answer. "Oh, don't be like that. I just want to.."