Raise A Little Hell

Tossing in her own sleep filled dream, Hikari felt the feathers inside her pockets twitch at the sound of someone approaching, their shoes lightly creaking against the floorboards in an anxious manner.

At first the girl didn't pay any mind to it, willing the movement away before the mysterious presence seemed to stop in front of her in order to reach down with a silent shaking hand. Wait, this wasn't a dream. Was it?

Wrapping their fingers around the crystal pendant around her neck, Hikari's brain immediately turned back on in alarm, immediately slamming open her eyes before grabbing onto the intruder's arms with an aggressive pull and a glare.

The voice gasped in surprise, helpless as Hikari twisted their arm behind their back without a single hesitation, eyes wild and ready for a fight.

Yet even so her brain was still half asleep, surveying the attacker only to recognize a familiar shade of white in the corner of the vision. Wait a minute..

Just then, the man quickly turned his head in fear as Natsuo's panicked voice rang back in full apology. "Ah! I'm sorry I'm sorry! I didn't mean to..!!"

Blinking at the voice, the bird felt her feathers soften all at once, before unlatching her death grip as the man quickly backed away, obviously still afraid she was going to attack him again. "Natsuo? What the hell.."

The white haired Todoroki only put his hands in defense though. "I-I'm sorry, I was just trying to get a closer look at your necklace, that's all. I wasn't trying to attack you or anything. I swear."

Quickly looking down at the crystal across her collarbone, Hikari felt her hand absentmindedly cover the object in suspicion. He acted like what he was trying to do wasn't a big deal when in actuality it was probably one the worst things he could've ever done.

It was a good thing she woke up before he ripped it off, otherwise it would've been impossible for her to deny that she was the girl who knew his big brother back when he was still alive.

Still realizing that she was uncomfortable, the man tried again. "This is gonna sound silly but there is something really familiar about it. That's why I wanted to see, that's all. I just thought that maybe you were.."

Before he could finish his sentence though, Hikari cut him off. It's not like she didn't know what he was going to say anyways. "I don't know why it would be familiar. I got it from a small gift shop in Okinawa three years ago. It's just a souvenir, nothing more"

He seemed to believe her lie right away, the boy's eyes filling up with shame before shaking his head with a small chuckle. "Ah, so that's how it is. Sorry, I guess I was just hoping for something different, that's all."

She could see the disappointment in his eyes, the ones that wished that she was Touya's best friend from all those years ago. And a part of her pitied the man for it, although the other part knew it was better this way.

Natsuo always had such good memories and words when he talked about his big brother, words of admiration for standing up to his father, words of shame for not being able to save him and Hikari knew that the reality wasn't as pretty as he would've liked.

So instead it was better to keep the Todoroki at a distance in hopes of keeping their blinded eyes shut. That way they wouldn't realize what horrors had changed their big brother.

Sensing the awkward atmosphere, Natsuo then cleared his throat before trying to ease the tension a bit more. "Speaking of which, I'm glad I caught you. I wanted to talk to you about that dinner.."

Recalling the horrible display, Hikari couldn't help but grow skeptical. Why was he bringing this up now? "What about it?"

Once again, the boy seemed nervous, Natsuo choosing to shift around on his feet before giving a shy small smile under his breath. "I know this is gonna sound weird but, I wanted to thank you. Thank you for standing up for my brother. I think a lot of people just forgive Dad for everything but it was refreshing to see someone finally tell it like it is for once, you know?"