Something Missing

As the seconds ticked by, Hawks found himself aimlessly moving across the dark living room inside of his apartment, his mind going in a million different psychotic directions as he mentally tore himself apart.

Why was he even here, locked inside of his own house while his little sister was suffering out there?! Why wasn't he doing anything, why was he always so goddamn weak?! Every single time it was always the same, being forced to stand by as everyone in the world pushed them around.

It was like he was back to being a stupid little kid, watching Hikari be abused by thier father and doing absoutuely nothing about it. No, that wasn't right. He never stopped being a stupid little kid, did he? No matter how hard he tried to pretend it was really no use.

And even though he tried to be a hero, he failed. He failed everyone, his sister included. Now, he was just alone, alone to suffer and to drown in his mistakes and shortcomings for all eternity.

Pushing his hands to his own head, Hawks began to slam his knuckles against the surface in self punishment, groaning as his steps continued to walk in no particular direction.

Feeling his hands shake in anxiety, the bird's wild eyes then turned to the sounds of the TV next to him as his mind suddenly registered exactly what was displayed on the screen. It was him, well to be specific it was a picture of him as Dabi's broadcast began to play on a constant loop.

Breaking News: "The top two heroes in Japan, Endeavor and Hawks are being considered for resignation after allegations appeared last Friday when the flamed hero's oldest son seemingly came back to life in order to reveal his crimes to society. Since then the people have cried out in outrage, urging the commission to denounce their titles and to strip them of all hero responsibilities. Here's what some citizens are saying now...."

Feeling his heart drop inside his stomach, Hawks' hollowed eyes felt themselves focus on the screen before him, pausing his neurotic steps in order to watch as various citizens flashed onto the screen, all of them disappointed and disguised as they shouted.

"I'm ashamed of them. They were supposed to protect us, they were supposed to be the good guys!! Endeavor an abuser? Hawks being the son of a villain? That's not the kind of representation we want for Japan!!'

"It's horrible what Endeavor did to his children. To me, he's more of a villain than anyone else out there. He deserves to be brought down."

"Hawks isn't the person I thought he was. He lied to us, manipulated us into believing he was on our side and we all fell for it. I'm ashamed to have ever been his fan."

As the accusations poured in, each toxic word of reality seemed to torture his mind even more as Hawks' wild amber gaze flintched in invisible pain. His greatest fear, it was coming true. All of his hard work, all the hiding and lying and secrets in order to keep his fragile fake identity together, all of it was destroyed.

Forcing himself away from the screen, the bird then unknowingly caught his own reflection across the glass windows that lined his balcony as Hawks truly registered his now broken and dull appearance.

There were bags under his eyes across his gray discolored skin, void of any life as the man reached a robotic hand to his wingless and bandaged back with so much overwhelming shame.

He couldn't blame those people on the screen, he couldn't even blame the public for wanting his hero status removed.

Because now the world saw him as he truly saw himself.

Ugly.

Disgusting.

Disposable.

It was what the commission drilled into him from day one, why he tried so hard to comply with their wishes and demands even when they weren't ethical or legal. It was the words that always caused him to do the most immoral things and to think in the most manipulative ways.