Between The Black and White

Few Moments Prior

Shadow watched the small tiny feather work through the chains holding Geten onto the floor as the agent felt himself sigh in exasperation. So many things happened today and the man was honestly just plain exhausted.

Of course, that's what happens when you follow a psychopathic villain like Valkyrie.

Wanting to be done with the job as quickly as possible the man muttered. "How long is this gonna take? Someone could come back, you know. Or do you not care about that?"

All at once, the feather seemed to stop its work before flying over to the man in order to stab him in the hand with its sharp bristles, causing Shadow to jump in surprise. "Ow, stop that, will you?"

The feather stood still then, almost as if to say. You think you can do better?

And truthfully, Shadow knew he couldn't. "I'm just saying that this plan has way too many holes you didn't account for. That's why I wanna get out of here as fast as possible, before anything can go wrong."

It was something he was worried about the moment he agreed to this stupid plan. Sure, the basis was simple but the agent knew that any sort of curveball could destroy the entire thing if they weren't careful.

The feather remained still at that, seemingly soaking in the sentence before flying away in order to continue its work on the chains. Well, at least she knew logic. That was something.

A heavy silence appeared then, causing the agent to gaze upon the unconscious and half dead liberation member with a mix of emotions in his chest. But why did he feel like this? He shouldn't have any sympathy for villains.

No, he knew why. He knew it so painfully well that the man felt his chest tighten a moment later, practically begging to voice out his conflict into the air.

And a moment later he did, knowing that Hikari was probably far too busy with Shigaraki and fixing that lock to hear. "I hesitated, back at the casino. Right after I took his quirk, I saw Geten cry. Can you believe that, a villain crying? I couldn't. I hadn't seen that kind of humanity before."

Sure, he had been inside Hikari's memories and felt her pain but the whole time it didn't feel real, like he was trapped inside of a dream, watching like a passenger against his own will. But the moment he heard Geten's shrill voice and shaking body nothing could be denied, because he had witnessed it himself.

And that made everything all the more real and scary.

Looking down at his hand, Shadow then opened up his fist in order to stare at his palm in silence. He had even reached out to the kid before Toga stabbed him. What the hell was wrong with him? He was just mixing fantasy with reality, searching for something that wasn't really there.

But even so, Geten's tear soaked face haunted his memory, morphing and changing into someone else familiar. "He cried like a child, and at that moment I saw my brother. I saw just how broken and sad and lost he really was. Even now, I can't help but see Yuto in him."

Thinking back to Hikari and his conversation about an hour prior, the man couldn't help but recall her reason for keeping Alpha around. She said it was because of weakness, because she didn't want to create anymore Valkyrie's. Perhaps she saw herself in that boy, just like he saw Yuto in Geten.

Feeling an unexplainable grief course through him, flashes of Hikari's horrible childhood then reemerged only for Shadow to lower his eyes in heartbreak. "So much so, it can't help but make me think, make me question.."

Then the man lowered his voice, the cracks in the tone evident as he whispered. "Did my brother die just as broken as him?"

Closing his eyes at the horrible idea, the man paused, not noticing the red feather in front of him pause for a millisecond before a soft click was overheard, causing the agent to lean down and see the metal lock opened, finally detaching the young kid from the wall.