Chapter 167

Chapter 167 Sudden Attack

In the current stage of Fate, the maps that were already made available to players consisted mainly of maps in the 5 continents, namely the North, South, East, West and Middle continent. No players would be spawned in the Middle Continent, and access to the continent was limited to lvl60 and above. No level limitations were imposed on the 4 other continents, and when players started their game, they could choose a continent of their own, or spawn in a random continent.

There were no races that were unique to any continents in the current stage of the game. Players in different continent could choose their own races as they created their characters. The map distribution in all 4 continents were the same, and their maps were similar as well. Despite having different dungeons, the difficulties of said dungeons were the same. A player's choice in choosing a continent would not affect his gameplay experience in any way. What mattered the most is what happened after a player chose his continent.

Among the 4 continents, the the Eastern and Southern continents were allies, while the Western Continent was an ally of the Northern continent. There were allies, and there were enemies. In theory, players would only be able to move around in their own continent before they reach level 60, and gameplay at the pre-lvl60 stage was mainly PVM. Once players have reached lvl60, they could move to the Middle Continent. At that stage of the game, PVP would become a common occurrence.

This of course, was all a theory. In truth, Fate did not restrict the movement of players. A player is always free to move between friendly and hostile continents as long as they have the capabilities to do so.

It was also a known fact that the Hidden Quests were the most intriguing part in Fate's quest system. If a certain Hidden Quest was completed by players, it might even unlock a secret passage that leads to an enemy city, opening up a path for invasion. The passageways that led to cities varies with the difficulty of the hidden quest. If a player was able to complete a hidden quest of the highest difficulty, there was a possibility that the player could open up a way to the enemy's royal capital.

That was not the scariest part. If a city was successfully invaded by a hostile force, only the city's economy would be affected. Players could restore the city to its former glory by completing daily quests in that city. If the royal capital of a continent was occupied by the enemy, the entire continent would be in jeopardy.

First of all, the morale of NPCs in the entire continent would plunge, and any NPCs who died would never respawn. If a player received a quest from an NPC in the capital, and the NPC was killed, the player will never be able to complete his quest. In Fate, the penalty imposed on a player for failing to complete his quest was high. It might affect the attitude of other NPCs towards the player, and the player might even be shunned from the city.

Other than that, the fall of the royal capital would bring a huge impact to the economy of the entire continent. Rewards received from quests would be drastically decreased, and the prices of items sold in shops owned by NPCs would soar. An even more outrageous condition was that a lot of common items that would usually be sold in the shops would disappear from the market. This condition would last until the morale of the NPC's recovered and the city itself stabilized.(something like "until the morale of NPCs had recovered).

But when would the NPCs recover their morale? Nobody knows.

And lastly, the most rage-inducing effect: the loot drops from dungeons and monsters were reduced by 50%. Where did the other half disappear to? Was it confiscated by the system? No. They were allocated to the to the victor of the war. In other words, no matter how good you are at the game, or how hard you worked to complete a quest, you're doing it for somebody else.