Chapter 198 (Part 1 & 2)

Chapter 198 A Fight to the Death (Part 1)

Even if Ye Ci knew a lot about Fate in her past life, a long amount of time passed after she reincarnated from her last life into her current self. There were things she had forgotten about the game. One of them was the Abandoned Altar mentioned by the mayor of Dark Clay City. Ye Ci knew that something was wrong with the altar, but she could no longer remember the details of the quest.

However she wasted no time, immediately travelling to the altar. Since I've accepted the quest, I might as well get to the place and improvise if I run into trouble. If she had to be meticulous when playing the game, wouldn't it ruin the fun? Wouldn't it be like writing a computer game? The game would cease to be fun and interactive. Weren't sudden events and being unpredictable the best part of video games?

Something that even she as a reincarnated person was unable to foresee was very thrilling. You could never know what happens next. Will you return with huge amounts of rewards? Or will you die in an attempt to gain those rewards?

Ye Ci could barely contain her excitement. She was increasingly bored with her repetitive life. The sudden turn of events was a good change for her.

She headed to the north eastern corner of the Swamp of Sorrows. The population of players began to thin down, as she headed further north. Even before she reached her destination, she could no longer spot any players in the vicinity. Ye Ci stopped and surveyed her surroundings on Ol' Four's back.

The plants in the area were denser than the other parts of the Swamp of Sorrows. While the Swamp of Sorrows was normally covered by low growing shrubs and moss, the place was filled with tall, lush trees. Not even a shred of sunlight was able to penetrate the dense leaves. The air was filled with the smell of decay, silently screaming out warnings of danger towards Ye Ci.

"Ol' Four, what's in there?" asked Ye Ci as she caressed the thick skin on Ol' Four's neck.

The beast was very quiet. It stood silently under Ye Ci like a tame cat. Ye Ci's voice was soft, even she was not sure if the question was meant for herself or was it for Ol' Four.

Ye Ci's surroundings were quiet. It was just too quiet. She narrowed her eyes and looked around, there was nothing but fog. It was the only way to get to the Abandoned Altar.

Ye Ci was not afraid. However, she was also reluctant to risk her life. After all, it would be very inconvenient to retrieve anything that she might drop in this place upon her death.

After surveying the dense forest, Ye Ci decided to continue her advance. Instead of galloping ahead in full speed, Ye Ci advanced slowly and cautiously towards the Abandoned Altar deep within the forest.

Even Ol' Four took light and careful steps without any commands from Ye Ci. As a T-rex that lived in the jungle since its infancy, vigilance and ferocity were traits that were ingrained deep in its bones.

A gust of wind suddenly passed by, and Ol' Four's pupils contracted as it stooped down. Ye Ci noticed something wrong with the wind as well. Noticing that the wind came from her left to the rear, she jumped into the air and grabbed hold of one of the thick vines. Turning around, Ye Ci fired her crossbow at the direction of the wind.

Her actions were fluid and confident. It was as if she was part of the jungle, and could adapt to any situation in the wild. As the bolts left her crossbow, Ye Ci finally caught sight of her assailant.

It was a snake.

It was a gigantic snake with a body as thick as her thigh. The snake's dark green scales gave off a dangerous aura, and its triangular head an indicator that it was poisonous. The snake was thrashing on the ground. Although her shots did not hit anything vital, one of Ye Ci's bolts has buried itself between the snake's upper and lower mandible, piercing the soft flesh in the snake's oral cavity and causing great pain.