§62§

This chapter is dedicated to @DamilolaAwojobi

Enjoy ❤

                          §•§

Finally getting home, I search the living room frantically for mother but could only see Daniels. I moved towards him and placed my hands on his shoulder. "Where's mum?"

"Went to her room to get something. What about Gabriel?" I shook my head. He immediately knew what I meant, then sat down beside me on the leather couch. "I hope they get him out."

Soon mother stepped into the living room with a sad smile on her face. She had a brown envelope with her as she sat across Daniels and I.

"He finally signed the divorce papers," We clearly knew who he was. Though this was a good news, it was also a good news that could wait.

"Finally," I pretended to be relieved instead of being worried about Gabriel.

"But that wasn't why I called," Mother announced next. I creased my brows and sat upright with my fingers interlocking. "It's about your father, he wants to see you."

I felt my ears were deceiving me. Mother didn't just say that. I left Gabriel for this? I wanted to scream out loud, yelling that I would never see that man.

"I'm not seeing that man!" Daniels let his anger get the best of him and I couldnt agree more. We felt the same thing.

"Not that man," Mother hissed with so much venom, then shook her head. "I meant your father."

"What do you mean by not that man?" I questioned mother. She let out a sigh, then slid a photo towards Daniels and I.

Daniels and I looked down at the photo to see a younger looking version of mother with a man who had his hands around her waist. No matter how long I stared at the photo, it still didn't make me look comfortable. "That's your father."

"What do you mean our father? " I questioned mother again as Daniels took the picture from me, to look at it properly.

"Twenty-nine years ago, the doctor announced that my husband could never pregnant a woman." Mother said so low we almost missed her narration. "The man in that picture happened to be my best friend back then. So close I could call him a brother. I pleaded and begged him to sleep with me just to make your father feel more of a man. He refused at first but did it when he couldn't see me cry. Your father's people were against me relaxing when I didn't have a male child so I had to plead with my friend one last time. This time to God have it, I gave birth to Daniels."

Mother focused her attention on my brother. "I named you after your biological father, Daniels. When your father found out, he decided to go hard on you and your brother. By this time, I'd lost all contact with my best friend. Your father knew he just can't throw you both out. He knew it would ruin the name he was starting to build. So instead of embracing you both, he focused on turning you children into perfect machines."

"That ungrateful jerk!" Daniels spat, instead of yelling at mother. I wanted to yell at her, yell at why she had to sleep with another man for a man that treated her like trash. Why she had to let my brother go through so much for a man that was never our father. But instead, tears rolled down my eyes and an audible sob escaped my lips.

"I didn't ask for this sort of life," I cried as mother stood and moved over to Daniels and I, hugging us both tightly in her arms.

"I thought that man would see my sacrifice and let you both have the best of life, but I was wrong." Mother pat my back softly before leaning back. Mother gazed at me and wiped my cheeks with both her thumbs. "With the help of a private investigator, I found your father. He wants to see his children."