Chapter 20

A/N: Lots of plot. Let me know if anything is unclear so I polish it.

Chapter is dedicated to @haruto_junkyu who upvoted:)

------------------

They stumbled out of the encampment before dawn even broke. The desert dwellers who actually called themselves the rainbow family, had accompanied them to the edge once more and wished them well. They preferred not to be involved since if it goes bad, they will be seen as the villains who interfered but they did extend an open invitation for visits and refuge in case things went south...or in case things went north.

After a short goodbye, which saw Hyunjin leaving some appetising leftovers with the dwellers in thanks, they continued their journey again.

Walking on a hard, flat road felt weird. Hyunjin and many others wobbled slightly until their bodies adjusted to walking on a solid surface again. His feet sure loved him.

He took the opportunity to let the clover and some other plants whose roots were not dry and which he wanted to keep fresh replant themselves in soil again. The plants here felt different than home but less different than the desert. There were some plants in common and others that varied due to the climate but he had read about these ones in much more detail.

The soldiers had camped out in a few fields. Hyunjin didn't like how they were out in the open. They should have at least trekked to the forest though in both cases, they could still run into people. At least this way there mustn't have been unnecessary bloodshed of innocent lives already.

Although come to think of it, farmers must be getting ready to come to work the very much fertile soils here.

"We must be quick" he whispered.

They scattered. Chan, Jisung, Jeongin, Sanha and Daehwi in their military garb crawled their way to the edge of the camp. If anyone saw them, they'll just say that they found enough energy to join them since they did not want to be left behind.

Hyunjin breathed in and then released it. This was it. He hoped they didn't get caught before they were successful. He looked at Seungmin who nodded and soon a drizzle started, covering the other's tracks and leading up to an ugly storm.

Hyunjin took Seungmin's hand and led him by it as they continued walking on the road to reach the grand city doors all the while Seungmin was concentrating on the storm.

"Here we are" Felix nervously whispered. Both Minho and Changbin moved closer to him and rubbed his arms and back to comfort him.

Hyunjin was sweating so much; much more than in the desert!

He felt a squeeze on his hand. Looking to his side, Seungmin was still concentrating. There was a sudden 'boom' and 'clap'.

"Wow thunder. How cool. Controlling storms. That's so...cool" Changbin fanboyed.

Rather than be jealous, Felix joined him and Minho had to remind them to keep their voices down. They were staring at the place grand doors which were kept close, more as a protection from the elements, being so close to the desert than for any other reason. These doors, unlike Levanter's were made of solid wood. Oak. Old but well maintained. Levanter's were just flimsy iron gates that served as markers indicating where the palace grounds started. Here, unlike Levanter, the palace came first followed by the village.

They were mirrors of each other in so many ways.

But Hyunjin hoped that one thing would be similar: guards not being guards thinking that they were secure enough.

Changbin helped him remove the beautiful casing which he intended to keep for actual wear later. One of his hands was currently too occupied so he appreciated the help.