Chapter 39

A/N: And they...

Chapter dedicated to @viva_la_vida_w_myrra who upvoted and commented.

--------

"What do you mean do exactly as you said? And what did you mean about the Yellow Wood grand door key?" his father asked. His mother walked to stand next to him. She also looked confused. For all his refusals to do as they said, they didn't think he was capable of such scheming. They would probably be proud if it wasn't against them.

"After all this time I guess I should tell you that we changed the model you had of Yellow Wood's palace so if soldiers managed to go in, they would be confused so the people of Yellow Wood would stand a chance not to be massacred BUT we also didn't want our own soldiers to die for something so...gah!" Hyunjin was struck for words at how selfish and stupid their move had been. Yes, other kingdoms probably did it as well but invading to expand not only wasn't original but it was also cruel. And if there was one thing that he couldn't stand, it was being intentionally cruel.

"What he means if that you were idiots trying to invade our next doors neighbours because can you imagine if it had gone wrong? We are only a few days away and they can easily reach us! You were also bad leaders trusting all this in the hands of someone who had ulterior motives and in case it's not clear yet, he didn't just want to rule Yellow Wood; he wanted Hyunjin as well. Him having such a big nation under his control AND the crown prince of Levanter would have legitimised him taking over from you. Most importantly for the people out there you were also not thinking about the welfare of your own citizens. You put everyone at risk for your own greed – be it soldiers, farmers or anyone else. Had we actually been under attack or at risk of being so, people would have understood but we are living in times of peace and how could you jeopardise that when peace is so fragile? The people have spoken and they don't want you." Seungmin stood tall, glaring at the royals who gaped at him.

Most of the soldiers put their hand away from their weapon.

"And they want Hyunjin? Please, he's not fit to be a leader yet. Perhaps with time but not now" his father said with a derisive tone.

"No, that time is now. Hyunjin has been taking care of his people as the herbal healer. He took care of his people when he stole the grand door key and swapped it with a fake."

"I had help!" Hyunjin said not wanting to take all the credit.

"Yes, he had help because you know what? He's not ashamed or afraid to ask for it although sometimes he's too stubborn and doesn't want to inconvenience people but he's learning. And the people? They will help him because they trust him. They have seen his pure heart"

"A pure heart doesn't a great leader make! And who are you to speak to us like that? Farmer." His father spit out.

Hyunjin glared. "Don't speak to him like that! He's also been helping his own people because you certainly weren't and has demonstrated better leadership in the few months I've known him than I've seen you demonstrate all those years. Do you remember when I told you that the community has had to support each other? Well there is a resistance? People meet to solve the problems that you won't help them with. One time for example we went to a farmer that had a pest problem and worked with him to resolve it. People love him and he's a good leader and for your information, I think I'll be one as well. You may not have noticed but I have schemed for the wellbeing of our people rather than my own greed although if there's one thing I will be greedy about, it's the fact that I will marry Seungmin...once he asks me to marry him again."

"What do you see in him huh? Does he protect you so well? Or does he f-"

The ground under them shook with the intensity of the sudden wind that only engulfed the palace.