Chapter 24

A/N: I will be focusing on this story now:)

Chapter dedicated to @jlchrz08 who upvotes:)

-------------------

The next day was marked by a number of things. The soldiers returned among copious fuss. Hyunjin gave a speech about how the soldiers had performed admirably at an exercise outside their kingdom and then had to hear his father threaten the soldiers not to say anything about the aborted mission 'because my good-for-nothing son stopped you from exercising your duty. It's not your fault but let's keep it between us'.

At this point, between the resistance and ever-growing dissent, everyone practically knew already although some believed the general had been acting on his own. The soldiers thanked him when he stayed back to apologize for the way their king had spoken. Most of them, bar a few cocky ones, had not actually wanted to engage in warfare. Indeed, even the cocky ones appeared relieved. They were all air and little substance.

The next day was also marked with Seungmin giving him furtive looks. The other became more his shadow if that was possible. He had even slept at the castle though Hyunjin wasn't sure where. Maybe Lia's room. Maybe a shed. Maybe his own room because he'd been so out of it he wouldn't have noticed even though it was Seungmin and he usually always notices him. He hadn't slept and then spent a good hour applying makeup to his face so all the black surrounding him didn't show on his face.

Looks were all Seungmin could give him because Hyunjin was heavily under observation by his father's most trusted guards. He was avoiding even Minho and Felix who they would surely let speak to him, if only not to raise suspicions but he couldn't run the risk that they would say something to incriminate themselves.

At the moment, he was in the inner gardens making sure the plants there were okay and letting them know they would have to take care of themselves now. They lamented a lot and their displeasure was in tune with his own sadness but there was nothing he could do.

If he spent more time here, he had the impression his father would just uproot everything to spite him and if his predictions were correct, he would have a lot of work soon.

He was just going around a Hibiscus shrub to greet the sky plant when he was yanked away from prying eyes behind a pink rose bush.

"What?" he squeaked.

"Relax, it's me"

He did not relax. Seungmin looked like how he felt. His under eyes were sunk in and a bit black. He was pale, paler than usual and his hands were trembling and cold as if he hadn't eaten in a while.

"Seungmin. I'm under guard. You'll get in trouble and you shouldn't be here. Go home and sleep. Your work is done."

"My work is not done, even for now. You're going to run yourself ragged. One war is over but the internal war here isn't and I won't stop until your father and your family aren't in power any longer and would you relax, I foresee some conveniently placed fog. Surely you cannot get in trouble more than you are now?" Seungmin hissed, still holding on his arm. If he left go, they would both crumble on the ground inelegantly and remain there.

"Besides. Felix agreed to help out. I'm going to lend him some sunlight and he'll make it seem like you're still here tending the garden. Let's go"

Seungmin all but dragged him among the weird combination of fog and sunlight. He didn't have time to ask when the other had spoken to Felix or indeed to check how the others were. He didn't even know where Felix was helping from though surely it was within sight. He fought the dizziness and disorientation that came from sudden movements after stillness. It didn't help that he hadn't eaten in quite a while.