twenty nine

"Rose, can I ask you something?" The two were alone, eating breakfast while her dad and Max were out milking the cow.

"No." She mocked, "of course idiot."

"Well uh," he was fidgeting with his hands, "can I- can I take you on a date?" Rose choked on her cereal, spitting it back into her bowl and coughing. Tommy's eyes grew wide, he fucked up.

"What?" She managed through her coughs.

"Fuck, never mind I- I thought. Fuck."

"Tommy what? I- I just don't understand." She took a drink of water to clear her throat.

"I just wanted to take you on a date for fucks sake."

"A date?"

"No Rose I wanted to take you to Canada. Yes a date. Like dress up and hang out and I plan it all and shit this is stupid." He stands up to take his bowl to the sink, "Forget I said anything."

She followed him, "Tommy I- I'm just confused. I didn't- I don't-"

"Don't you have homework to do?" He grumbled, leaving her alone in the kitchen without letting her talk.

"Asshole." She muttered, going up to her room.

But focusing on her homework was not coming easily. Rose knew she had felt more than platonic towards him, but she didn't think he felt the same so she didn't do anything about it. She was perfectly content being his best friend. But he wanted to take her on a date? Platonically? Or- romantically? Did Tommy like her back? Why didn't he let her answer?

After hours of trying to focus on studying the respiratory system, her dad came in with her lunch. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a banana.

"Dad, can I ask you something? It's- it's about Tommy."

"Of course pumpkin, what is it?"

"Do you think he- so he- well- he asked if I would go on a date with him." Her dad raised his eyebrows and opened his mouth but she stopped him, "I don't know if- if he asked platonically or well- not."

"Platonic my ass!"

"Dad!"

"I'm serious bug, he's got the most massive crush on you and you're kind of blind."

"I'm not-"

"He flew all the way from England, to a country he hates, for a month."

"He doesn't actually hate it." She mumbled back.

"Not the point. You guys hold hands, cuddle- don't act like you don't. He likes you Rose, not platonically."

"So I should say yes?"

"Well if you like him back yes." She thought for a moment.

"Okay, well, I have a plan, instead of that."

~

Dinner outside! Bring your jacket

Tommy read the note confused. The house was seemingly empty when he came back, but he hadn't seen anyone outside. Sighing he grabbed his jacket preparing for an awkward meal. Once outside he looked around and found Rose waving at him from the top of the hill. He trekked his way up, giving himself a small pep talk. Wilbur had already told him to ignore it and pretend it didn't happen. When he reached the top it was just Rose, there was a blanket and food laid out.

"What- what's this?" He asked, thoroughly confused.

"You never waited for my answer Tommy. You popped that out of nowhere, when I had no idea you felt the same, and then you just left."

"You-"

"So, after talking with dad, I decided I'd take you on a date." She paused waiting for him to say something before quickly adding, "If that's okay of course."

"You- you like me?" She nodded, pink on her cheeks. "Pog."

"Pog?!" She laughed, "That's it."

"At least we're on the same page now."

"Shut up and eat."

~

With full stomachs the two lay on the blanket, watching the stars in comfortable silence. The dinner hadn't been awkward, they were both jittery, but it made it more fun. It was almost how they usually would hang out, except this time they were both aware of the feelings they had for each other.

"You didn't realize that I liked you- non-platonically?"

The redhead shook her head, "I think I wished you would, but I would so much rather have you as my best friend than my was."

"Your was?"

"Was. Past tense." She turned her face to him, he was already watching her, "I don't want you to be a past tense in my life Tommy."

"Rose can I please take you on a date? I appreciate this and I'm glad- I just want to take you on a date."

"Okay. Yeah."

"Cool."

"Cool." She turned back to the sky, "you ever feel like you want to say something so- something about the sky to describe it, but you barely understand it and why it makes you so, so, happy, and you don't have the right words, so all you can think of is wow."

"All the time." He answers, not even thinking about the sky, his eyes trained on her.