The Best Goldfish in the World - Mystrade

3rd Person P.O.V

"Myc? Hurry up!" Greg called up the stairs of his and Mycroft's shared house. "Reservations aren't super flexible these days."

"Yes, yes. Calm down, love." Mycroft chuckled as he descended the stairs. Greg was instantly mesmerised by his boyfriend's appearance. He was wearing a light grey suit with a red tie and white shirt. It was very simple for Mycroft, but Greg insisted that he tone it down a little bit, as they were 'only going for dinner'. Of course, they both had different ideas of what casual clothing was. Greg found it funny.

"That's not exactly what I meant when I said 'toned down'... but I can't say I'm mad about it." Mycroft strolled over to Greg, who stood in the doorframe, smirking. Greg kissed Mycroft lightly on the cheek, then took his hand and lead him out of their house. Greg knew Mycroft would have preferred that they get a car to the restaurant, but Greg insisted that they walk there.

Especially since they weren't actually going to a restaurant.

Greg had planned something really special for him and his boyfriend, so he knew that a restaurant wasn't going to cut it. He couldn't just take The British Government to some bloody restaurant! Mycroft deserved better than that, and Greg was more than happy to give him everything he had just to be with him. He had told Mycroft that on their first date. Greg thought it was embarrassing. Mycroft thought it was adorable.

It was their first date, so of course it started out a bit awkward. But after Greg had a few shots, he started to become more chatty, and much more comfortable. He became much more flirty when he was drunk, and Mycroft thought his head might explode.

"I'd literally give you all of the shit I own just to be able to go on a second date with you, Mycroft."

"No need, Gregory. I had a splendid time."

"Same time next week?"

"Same time tomorrow."

"I like the sound of that."

Their first kiss happened on their fifth date. Greg thought that it was a bit late, but he was willing to wait a million years for Mycroft.

"I'm sorry that it took that long."

"You don't have to apologise. You just kissed me." Greg laughed hoarsely, and Mycroft turned bright red. "That was the best first kiss I think I've ever had."

"That's the only first kiss I've ever had." Mycroft mumbled, scratching the back of his neck.

"Well, isn't that adorable?" Greg smiled, kissing the taller man again.

"Where are we walking to, Gregory? We're seemingly in the middle of nowhere." Greg squeezed Mycroft's hand tighter in reassurance.

"It's alright, love. I'm not gonna kill ya."

They shared a laugh, and Greg lead the older Holmes around one last corner, and they finally reached the spot. It was in the middle of a park, but no one was there. Greg had asked some of Mycroft's people to clear it out for the night. There was a table set with food and drinks, and it was lit by candles. Mycroft stopped walking for a moment, and Greg started to get a bit worried. He didn't have long to doubt himself, as Mycroft turned to face him and rapidly closed the gap between them.

"This is perfect."

"R-Really?" Greg asked, trying to catch his breath.

"Yes. Everything is perfect. I love you so much."

"I love you, too."

*

Greg was nervous again. He had a question to ask Mycroft, but he afraid of what might happen. The last time he asked someone this question, she said yes. That ended up being one of the worst relationships of Greg's life. He knew Mycroft was different than she was. But he was still terrified. He sat across from the man he loved, holding his hand as he told Greg how his day had been. Greg thought that, after his first wife, he would avoid domesticity at all costs. But, with Mycroft, there was no other option. And he was more than okay with that.

"Hey, um... Myc? I have something I wanted to ask you..." Greg's voice dropped off at the end of his sentence, and Mycroft squeezed his hand and nodded. "I've only ever asked this question once... and it didn't end well. But... I think I know you well enough now that you wouldn't do that to me." Mycroft wasn't stupid; he had already deduced what Greg was going to ask him, but he wanted to hear it from him.

"So, um... god, why is this so difficult?" Greg hissed, looking down at his feet. He grabbed a small, velvet box out of his jean pocket and placed it on the table, right in front of Mycroft. Before he could speak again, Mycroft reached in his jacket pocket and took out a similar box, and placed it in front of Greg.

A moment of silence passed between the two. Mycroft had his usual expressionless face, and Greg looked pale as a ghost.

Then, they both burst out laughing.

Once they composed themselves, Mycroft took both of Greg's hands in his own.

"Yes." Mycroft whispered.

"Yes?"

"Yes, Gregory. I will marry you."

"Oh, thank god." They both laughed again, and they gave each other their engagement rings.

They went home after that, hand in hand, talking about nothing in particular. They were both the happiest they had ever been.

Greg had found his other half, the person that understood him best in the world. He'd found someone who genuinely loved him, and that was more than he could've asked for.

Mycroft had found someone that grounded him, an amazing, caring man who protected him and loved him for who he was. Gregory, Mycroft decided, was the best goldfish in the world.