Queer Media Analysis - Pt. 4

To go back to 'Good Omens', gender identity is treated very interestingly in the series. 

Before season 2, fans were worried that Gaiman was using Aziraphale and Crowley's genders as a cop-out. People only wanted them to be gay because that's 'easier'. Gaiman has said many times that neither is male, Crowley specifically, and that therefore, they aren't considered to be gay. They are, however, possibly asexual, non-binary, genderfluid, agender, etc. They are inherently queer characters because they don't have set genders. Yes, they both present as male most of the time, but Crowley wears traditionally feminine clothes throughout history, as well as women's clothes in the present day. He was a woman for years when he posed as Warlock's 'nanny', but people still weren't happy. 

'Why can't they just be gay?' was the question Gaiman received constantly. His response was always the same; 'they aren't even men.' The people that appreciated this the most were people who feel like minorities within the queer community itself – trans people, non-binary people, asexual people, aromantic people, genderfluid people, agender people, etc. Gaiman was actively using these terms when asked about his characters, which made underrepresented parts of the LGBT community feel seen. 

Justifiably, people were still worried that this wouldn't pass over into season 2. Others had faith. And after season 2, we know that Gaiman more than delivered. Not only was their confirmation of the main relationship sprinkled throughout every episode from the opening second, but nearly every single character is LGBT. Each angel and demon follow the same gender rules that Aziraphale and Crowley do – they have no set gender. 

The Archangel Michael is played by the actress Doon Mackichan, uses all pronouns, and has a masculine name. 

Muriel uses they/them, Uriel uses they/them, and they are both played by actresses, Gloria Obianyo and Quelin Sepulveda. 

The local Soho magic shop owner Mutt has a non-binary/genderqueer/trans partner that he refers to as his 'spouse'. They are seen in a dress with long hair and are played by the actor Andrew O'Neil. 

The Lord of the Flies – Beelzebub – uses they/them, is played by two actresses, Anna Maxwell Martin (2019) and Shelley Conn (2023), and ends up with the former Archangel Gabriel. 

Several fans got annoyed about this relationship, saying that the relationship that properly succeeded was 'a straight one'. Beelzebub, if they were human, would be under the trans umbrella. Therefore, their relationship with Gabriel (who presents as a man) is definitely not a heterosexual one. 

The main romance plot of this season, apart from Aziraphale and Crowley, was between coffee shop owner Nina and record shop owner Maggie, played by Nina Sosanya and Maggie Service respectively. Throughout the season, Nina is shown to be in an abusive relationship with a character we have never seen, Linsey. Nina doesn't use a specific set of pronouns for Linsey, who has a gender-neutral name, so the audience can assume whatever they want about this faceless character. 

Aziraphale and Crowley learn that Maggie is in love with Nina, so they both try their own methods of getting the two women to fall in love with each other. If they do, Heaven will quit bothering them, Nina and Maggie will be happy, and everything will be perfect. Of course, it doesn't at all go perfectly. Nina and Maggie lecture Crowley, telling him that it isn't fair to push two people to be together for their own gain. Crowley and Aziraphale didn't mean to do anything malicious, obviously, but neither of them understood how romance is supposed to work, as they have no personal point of reference. 

Or do they? 

Maggie and Nina explain to Crowley that he and Aziraphale are essentially already in a relationship, but that they need to communicate better, so they can figure out what it looks like for them. But those two are historically very bad at communicating properly. 

Many fans have also pointed out a lot of comments that Crowley makes throughout the season, where he corrects people who assume his gender. Mrs Sandwich calls him 'a good lad', and he says that he's neither good nor a lad. Crowley is a fantastic, subtle representation for trans people. He's clearly very comfortable in his gender expression and expresses himself through his clothing and hair. This introduction of gender identity into 'Good Omens' isn't a new addition that was just shoved into season 2, as some fans have suggested. 

Characters like Crowley, Michael, Uriel, and Beelzebub are featured heavily in season 1, as well as Pollution, who is referred to with they/them pronouns, uses the suffix 'Sir', and is played by actress Lourdes Faberes. In the script book of season 1, these pronoun choices are obviously made clearer, as Beelzebub is actually referred to with they/them and he/him pronouns. Crowley as the nanny is referred to with she/her pronouns, and Sandalphon is referred to with it/its pronouns. 

On the topic of the nanny, many fans accused Gaiman of using this plotline as an opportunity to make a mockery of trans women. Nanny is not a trans joke. She is referred to with she/her pronouns and is a beautiful woman ('alarmingly attractive', according to Michael Sheen). No one makes any negative comments about her appearance or of Crowley's gender expression. She is also played by known trans ally and activist, David Tennant, and was written by known trans ally and activist, Neil Gaiman. There was definitely room to make this storyline into a mockery of trans people, and many other showrunners/writers would've taken that opportunity and ran with it. 

Every example of queerness – gender expression, gender identity, pronouns, friendship, romance, etc. – is treated with the utmost care and respect by the 'Good Omens' team.