Can I Be Him? - Mystrade/Johnlock

This might be difficult to just shove the context in the actual story, so I'll just write it here.

Greg is a criminal, but no one can seem to catch him. He's been friends with Sherlock for years, after Greg helped him get off drugs. Sherlock would constantly figure out that Greg was the perp when solving cases, and he would always pretend that he couldn't solve it, and the case would go cold. John knew, and promised to never say anything. The crimes aren't ever serious, robberies, pick pocketing, etc.

Even though the cases are usually below a 7, Sherlock ALWAYS takes them, and let's Greg off the hook. In return, Greg usually gives Sherlock some of the evidence so he has something to give back to the Yard. No one understands what's going on, but no one understands Sherlock on a normal day. In this, Greg is 23, Sherlock is 20, John is 21 and Mycroft is 25. This actually took forever to finish, cause I wrote two other chapters whilst writing this one lmao. And because I accidentally didn't save the second half and had to rewrite it. Big brain move.

Greg's P.O.V

I couldn't believe what I had gotten myself into. It didn't even take that much convincing to get me to do it. There I was, outside of Buckingham Palace, waiting to finally meet Sherlock's older brother. Couldn't we just meet at a pub or something? I'd only ever heard stories about him, and I just assumed Sherlock was biased because he hated him. Turns out, he was just as fancy as Sherlock had told me.

I looked pretty out of place, standing in front of the Queen's house. Everyone else around me was wearing a nice suit, fancy dress or some kind of uniform. I had my 'best' suit, and even that was ratty and about 5 years old. I had brushed and cut my hair in the morning, but it still looked greasy and like I hadn't washed it in years. I had huge bags under my eyes and sunburn on the backs of my hands. I had no clue how that got there.

I was finally starting to look my age, maybe even older. And it wasn't exactly a good thing. I'd always been 'the young one', with a soft face and bright eyes. Now, I was 23 and looked about 20 years older.

I made my way through the massive front doors, down a few hallways, up some stairs, whatever, whatever. Until I finally found where Sherlock said that his brother would meet me. It was a huge, open-planned room, almost as big as my entire apartment. Well, not mine anymore. The apartment I sold.

Now, I lived in 221B with my two best friends. They invited me to live with them about a month after I sold my place, which was half a year ago now. I figured I'd be sleeping on the couch or the basement. Turns out, they'd started dating about 3 months prior, so I took John's old room. I asked them about a million times if they were okay with me living with them. John reminded me that they were the ones who asked me to move in with them, and that settled me a bit. They were in a really loving, asexual relationship and I never minded third-wheeling for them. They were my best friends. If I was looking for a relationship, I think that them being happy would've made me sad. But, I was fine on my own. If they were happy, I was too.

I looked around the huge room, taking in how gorgeous it was. I'd only ever heard stories about Mycroft from Sherlock or John. I'd never met him. I'd never heard him speak. I knew he was 2 years older than me and rich as hell, but that was all I really knew. I'd had no clue what he looked like. I just expected that he looked like his younger brother; dark, curly hair, pale skin, high cheekbones, pretty tall and piercing blue-green eyes.

I was shocked at how wrong I was.

He was significantly taller, well over 6ft. He had straight, ginger hair and freckled skin. His eyes were a light grey, but they were oddly kinder than his brother's. He was wearing a nice suit, much nicer than mine. Of course it was. Anything was nicer than mine. He had a light stubble and slight bags under his eyes. He looked tired, like he'd been in and out of meetings and conferences all day.