A Dream Come True - Johnlock/Mystrade

John's P.O.V

It was always annoying, having to take time off of school. Whether it's for something good, like a holiday, or something bad, like a sickness. Those things only take a week, maybe two. I had been gone for an entire term. And I had changed a lot.

Before I left school, I was extremely depressed, dangerously dysphoric and suicidal. Also, I was female-presenting.

Now, I was a little less depressed, a tiny bit less dysphoric, a lot less suicidal and a lot happier. I had cut my hair, gotten an undercut and dyed my usual brown hair. It was now dark blue, and I loved it so much more than my stupid, shoulder-length hair from before. I had started taking testosterone, and that was the main reason I stayed away from school. I needed time to adjust to things. Like the hair on my face and... other places. Or the intense amount of sweat, all over my body. My voice had dropped, and my libido had skyrocketed. I wasn't a shy, straight girl anymore. I was now a horny, bisexual guy who was shorter than the rest and terrified for what people would say.

"Sarah?" Fuck. A familiar voice was calling for me. Well, the old me, at least. The voice belonged to my best friend, Sherlock Holmes. I hadn't told anyone about my transition, not even him. And it killed me, not being able to tell him. My parents didn't want me losing friends, so they took me out of school for a bit and made me promise to not tell anyone.

"Hey, Sher." I tried to make my voice go higher, but T had lowered it so much that it was almost impossible to do without thinking.

"Are you okay? You look different. It's not a bad thing, I like it."

"I'm surprised you recognised me."

"You're my best friend. You could change genders and I'd still know who you were."

Aw. Isn't he sweet?

Oddly naïve for how ruddy smart he is.

"Well, then. I dunno what to tell ya, Sherlock."

"What do you mean?"

I had planned this in my head. I knew my best friend better than anyone, and I knew he wouldn't mind about me being trans. It hurt so much, not being able to tell him, but now, I was going to. I was nervous, but my excitement took over and I couldn't stop the words from spilling out.

"I should probably introduce myself. Hi, I'm John. I'm your best friend. I'm a bit different to look at, but I'm the same person. If a bit happier. I'm a boy. I always have been, but it took a little while for my outsides to catch up. And, they're still getting there. But, I'm me, and I hope that you can accept that."

He blinked at me, and my heart stopped. He wrapped his arms around me, and I breathed a massive sigh of relief. He wasn't one for physical touch, but always seemed comfortable around me.

"John... I like that." He pulled back from me, and I started to cry. "You're so strong, John. People will yell at you, people won't understand you. And, I won't ever fully understand what you go through, but I can only promise that I will always be there, whatever you need."

I jumped back into his arms, and heard his beautiful laugh. It was no secret to me that I was in love with him, but he didn't need to know that.

"Thank you... so much. That's the nicest thing anyone has ever told me."

"Why would you be scared of what I would say?"

Fuck. Forgot he could read me like a children's book. We stood back against my locker, and I shifted around uncomfortably. He placed his arm around my shoulders, and that seemed to put me at ease.