Episode 1: Chasing a Dream

*???*

[West of Tozan Hoshi]

"Carter, your guide is here!" a voice called out.

"Hold up, sis. Tell her that I'll be there as soon as I finish getting this closed," I said as I pushed down on my bag.

"Honestly, Carter. This is why I told you to prepare ahead of time," my sister said as she opened the door.

I smiled as I finally zipped it "Got it! Ready to go!"

My sister chuckled. "Barely. Now, get going." Her laugh was just like our late mother's. Hearing it always brought a smile to my face. But it also made me a little sad sometimes.

The kitty in the middle of my bed yawned. Seemed even all of my struggling with the bag couldn't shake her awake. I chuckled and stroke her back. "Take care of my room for me, okay, Lee?"

She purred and nudged my hand with her nose.

"I'll miss you too, Lee," I said, getting a bit misty eyed. I turned toward my sister and gave her a big hug. "Bye, sis. I'll call you as soon as I can."

Sis stroked the back of my head. "I'll miss you, Cart. Be a good boy and try your best. I know that you'll pass."

I broke away from her and grinned. "Yeah, I've been training extra hard for it!"

"Don't get cocky now," my brother-in-law said as my niece helped roll his wheelchair into my room. "Remember what I taught you. Take all of your opponents seriously. Even if you don't know them."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Would be easier if I knew what kind of strength the others taking the test have."

"Cart," my sister said with a raised voice. "You have been studying for more than just the strength exam, right?"

I scratched the side of my face and laughed weakly. "No, but I figured that I would study for the written part on the way."

"Uncle's a dummy," my five-year-old niece said, leering at me with her orange eyes. They were just like her mother's.

"I'm not a dummy. I am just procrastinating. There's a difference!"

"Delaying things won't do you any good. Now, get going, or you might not make it in time. The trip's a long one," Sis said, nudging me toward the door.

"Alright. Bye, you three."

My niece ran over and hugged me. "I'll miss you, Cart!"

"Aww, I'll miss you too, La," I said, snuggling her.

"Be sure to keep that charm I gave you, okay?" La looked up at me with teary eyes.

"Sure I will. It's my good luck charm!" Even though I don't think I'll need to rely on luck.

She let go of me slowly and ran over to her mommy.

Akio smiled at me and held out his hand. "Make it big out there, my pupil."

I shook his hand and grinned. "I will, Master! I'll make you the proudest man that ever lived!"

He laughed. "Sounds excessive. Besides, you've already made me proud. You might procrastinate on most things, but the one thing you don't is your training. Remember to keep up with your routine. Increase it, but don't overdo it either." He stared at his legs. "The body is an important instrument, but it can also be incredibly fragile."

"I know," I said, squeezing his hand. "I promise that I'll watch over my health. I don't want you three to worry while I'm abroad."

He patted my arm and smiled. "Get going now, kid."