Episode 43: The Honey Freak

I slurped my ramen

I slurped my ramen. "So tasty!" I exclaimed. The noodles had just the right amount of spice, packing a punch while not being too hot.

"You're really hungry. Try to pay attention to your steps more than your food, or you might lose it," Kanja said, chuckling. Our class followed Lei and his friends up a mountain. The stairs seemed as if they went on forever. Haha, they would make for the perfect training ground!

Still, I wished I could fly like Ling, Aurelius, Nate, and our seniors. Well, technically Hikaru levitated rather than flew, but still...

"What's wrong?" Kanja asked as I continued to eat, but slower.

"I-I was just thinking of the gap between me and those in the second-year class. E-even within ours, the gulf is vast."

She sighed. "If it's big for you, imagine how big it is for me, Lidia, and Huo."

I bit my lip. Great, I forgot not to bring up the subject with her. She got like this when she tried to cheer me up back on the boat.

"I-It's alright. T-that's why we're here! To learn."

Kanja smiled slightly. "Yeah." She glanced at Hikaru. "Wonder if he would be willing to teach me how to do that."

I glanced at Adela. She didn't appear to be using fire magic to propel herself. Was she using magnetic levitation too?

Hmm, though it could be that she was using a non-element specific spell like the one Ling used. Considering they both hailed from Xian, that was a strong possibility. If anything, it was the same spell.

"We're almost there," Yuzuki said, waving at us.

I sped up and passed everyone, even the second and third years flying overhead.

"We made it!" I yelled as soon as I saw a pair of buildings.

"Quiet down. You're so loud!" Ling said, rubbing her ears.

"Yeah," Huo said, glaring at me too.

I lowered my head. "S-sorry."

Mira turned around.

"What's wrong?" I asked, blinking.

"Jude hasn't caught up yet. Maybe we should have waited for him after all."

I swung my hands behind my head. "Think he'll be fine. Jude's a smart kid."

Mira sighed. "You're probably right."

I grinned. "Of course I am."

"Someone is self-centered," Yen murmured.

Lei chuckled. "That one really reminds me of him," he said as he landed. His eyes seemed sad.

Was he talking about his missing friend again?

Friends... Had Rob returned home safely? Was home even safe for him, given what his father attempted to do? Hoped my old man wouldn't take things too far. He had already stripped Rob's father of his titles and exiled him to the fringes of the country. What worried me was that my old man wasn't one for mercy. Not after Mom died.