Episode 61: The Young Lion and the Ogre

I adjusted my backpack and looked back at the boy that Kanja and a couple of the others had met in their second-period class

I adjusted my backpack and looked back at the boy that Kanja and a couple of the others had met in their second-period class. He sure was talkative. Mira said he wasn't in the mood to talk much when she ran into him at the start of their class. Jude thought it was because Enkai was hungry. He did talk more after Tamara gave him a bar, Nat said.

"Is something the matter with Enkai?" Kanja asked. I walked out of Tool Synthesis class and into a stream of people. Thankfully, we didn't get split. Although, I couldn't help but wonder why I was allowed into this class. I heard that only those with good prana control could get in. Did one of the teachers perform an override to get me in? Hopefully, I could make something to help me control magic better.

"No. I was just wondering how strong he is! You did say that he was in your honors class," I said, grinning.

She smiled. "Yeah, he was the only non-exchange student to take it. Wonder why. Or maybe there is more than one class or period for it."

"Could be that the natives aren't too fond of looking at stars and trying to predict the future." I shrug. "Not that I can blame them. Stars are pretty and all, but can they really predict the future? And even if so, we just puppets being moved around by fate?"

She giggled.

"W-what?"

"I'm surprised."

"Huh?"

"For one, you haven't stuttered since we began talking. Well, until just now. Second of all, I'm pretty surprised to see you waxing philosophically."

My cheeks heated up. "I-I was given a lot of philosophy lessons as a kid!"

"You were?"

I scratched my head. "Y-yeah. M-my sis and I had tutors from various schools of thought. From Xaoism to Konguianism. T-though a lot of it seemed a tad pointless at the time."

"Xiaoism? Kanja asked.

"Oh, it's a philosophy from the northwest of this continent. Surprised that you never heard of it. It provides us with the bedrock principles of cultivation. From prana rotation to its goal."

"Goal?"

"We strengthen our bodies with the hope of one day becoming divine immortals."

"Wait, that's its purpose?"

"Well, it once was. Modern people seem to have given up on that."

"Most have, but not all," a voice called out. I turned and saw Hal walking alongside us. His brother rode on his shoulders.

"Can I have a ride too?" I asked, jumping.

Jude clung to his brother.

"Come on! Just a bit."

Hal chuckled. "Jude is small, and you aren't."

Kanja raised a hand to her forehead and sighed. "You get so easily distracted." She turned to look at Hal. "Anyway, what did you mean by some haven't given up on ascending into gods?"