Episode 30: Until We Meet Again

I opened my eyes and found myself back in my bed

I opened my eyes and found myself back in my bed. What had happened? Had I won, again? Or had Nate won?

"Hey, you finally woke up," Robert said, smiling slightly. I wasn't the best at reading people, but I knew that smile meant bad news. My sis would often make it. She would think that she had pulled the wool over my eyes, but that was me playing dumb. I figured it was the best way to keep the atmosphere joyful.

"Nate won, didn't he?" I said, giving him a smile of my own.

Rob nodded. "Yeah."

Tears built up in my eyes. With my pillow, I covered my eyes. "I'm so sorry, I couldn't win it all as I had promised."

Rob laughed. "It's alright. You tried your best. That said, you hurt yourself to win despite me telling you not to."

I moved the pillow toward my chest and grabbed my forehead. "I don't even remember what happened."

"It's because you went into a fury, just like you did against your father and Jude."

"I did, huh? Why is it that I can't recall?"

He shrugged. "I'm not sure, but you should try to not go overboard next time. Though, I expect my words to fall on deaf ears like usual."

I laughed. "I'll try not to, but no promises."

He sighed. "That doesn't make me feel better at all. Anyway, you better get dressed."

I stared at my clothes. Someone must've changed me into my pajamas.

"Alright. But why the hurry?" I asked.

"We're about to arrive at Nine Petal," he said, turning his back to me.

My eyes widened. "Already? How long was I out?"

Rob laughed a bit. "The whole night."

I rubbed the side of my neck. "That long, huh? Wait, what about the match between Tamara and Nate?"

"That'll take place on the island. Both of them will still have to face off against the top two native first-year Kyuu Seishinian students in a two versus two."

"Oh. It would've been nice if I could've fought alongside Au." I looked up at the white ceiling. "Not that either of us made it anyway."

"Maybe next year," he said with a smirk. He walked out and closed the door.

Rob seemed upset about something. Did he regret having given his spot? If only I could give it back to him.

I clenched my blankets. The way I was now, I wasn't worthy of attending Nine Petal Academy. My magic was weak. I couldn't even handle a few embers without getting burned. What kind of mage got hurt by his own powers with a below basic spell? A lame one did.

When heading out, I thought that the martial art skills that my brother-in-law had taught me would help me balance the field. While they did help me get a few good hits, the disadvantage remained.