Episode 14: Continued Doubts

I woke up early and ran straight to the test site

I woke up early and ran straight to the test site. It proved hard to lay down and sleep. In a few days, my life would change.

"I didn't expect someone to arrive this early," a voice called out as I passed the silver gates of a non-magic high school. I saw a brown-haired boy with turquoise eyes seated on the highest branch of an oak tree.

How did he get that high up? Was he a wind mage like Aurelius? As if answering my question, the boy jumped off. Gales of wind danced around him, slowing his descent.

"Am I not allowed to?" I asked.

The guy grinned. "As far as I know, there's no rule against it." He laughed. "Then again, I wouldn't know as I arrived pretty late for my test."

I gasped. "Wait, are you already a student at Nine Petal?"

The boy smiled. "Yup. Oh right, I should probably introduce myself." He held out his hand. "I'm Lei Lan, and you are?"

I smiled and shook his hand. "I'm Carter. Remember that name as soon you'll hear it a lot."

He tapped his chin. "Oh, why's that?" He smirked. "Wait, don't tell me that you're going to say that you will become the next Magus Maximus. If so, then I'm sorry to disappoint. The next Magus Maximus will be me."

I glared at him. "Oh, yeah? What makes you so sure?"

The winds around Lei pulled the leaves off the tree behind him. "Because it's my dream, and I don't give up on my dreams."

"Wow, so cool," I muttered. I shook my head and gave him a stern look. "Sorry."

"What for?"

"Because I'll be crushing your dream."

Lei's smiled. "Pass the test, and I might consider you a rival."

"I plan to!"

He waved and walked toward the school. "Then I'll see you later. Good luck."

I scoffed. "I don't need it!"

Lei spun around. "I wouldn't be too sure about that. This year, the test is going to be harder. Or so I heard."

I smiled. "Then, if I pass it, I'm better than you as I went through a tougher trial."

He lowered his head. "This is only the first step. Don't let it get into your head. Life brings with it more trials than what teachers can think up. Hopefully, you won't have to go through the trial of losing a friend."

I gasped. Did he lose a friend? How?

"I won't lose any friends. I'll protect them!"

Lei looked over his shoulder and smiled. "I hope so," he said, forming a sphere of wind. With those words, he vanished in a vortex of wind.

"Woah, he teleported!"

"Huh, Carter? I thought I would be the first one here," a voice called out behind me. I gulped as soon as I recognized it. It was Ling.