Episode 117: Technomagic vs. Nature magic

*Ning*

I hummed as I walked alongside An on our way to the arena. Too bad there were others with us...

"You're really as cool as a winter squash," An said, laughing.

I smiled at him. His metaphor reminded me of when I still lived in Aief. We had some wild squash near our house. An and I would go up and hike to get them, even if it meant plowing through snow. It had been a while since I had any.

"Ning's always been pretty calm," Orichalcum said, grinning.

"Sometimes, I wonder if she even has emotions," Tashunke said.

"Brother," Tasunke said, pulling him a bit to the side.

I tilted my head. 'I've never been very emotive. Not even as a kid.' I eyed An. 'Back in Aief, I didn't have many people who wanted to be friends with me.'

***

[Twelve Years Ago]

I fiddled with gears as I stood to the side of what was a park in all but name.

"Hey, wanna play?" a girl asked, walking up to me. I raised my eyes at the blue-haired girl. She was one of the big kids. Why would a big kid want to play with a little kid like me?

"I'm okay," I said, turning my attention back to my gears.

"W-what's that?" a small voice came from behind the girl. It was a kid around my age. Was he her little brother?

I put it behind me and took a deep breath. "You wouldn't get it even if I told you."

The boy frowned.

"Why do you say that?" the boy's sister asked, tilting her head.

"Because it's complicated," I replied, not looking up from my gears.

"Complicated?" the boy asked, blinking. He looked down and frowned.

I was used to this kind of reaction. Most kids my age couldn't understand my fascination with gears and other machinery. At first, they would find it cool and new, but they would gradually grow board and return to running around and playing pretend. I, on the other hand, found joy in the intricate workings of gears and machines. I could stare at the cyclical motions for hours.

"But I want to understand," the boy said, frowning.

I blinked. "Do you really?" 

He nodded eagerly, looking at me with wide, curious eyes.

I hesitated for a moment, then sighed. "Alright," I said, setting down my tools. "I'll try to explain."

The next hour was spent explaining the basics of mechanics to the boy and his sister. To my surprise, they listened attentively, asking questions and showing genuine interest in what I was saying. It was the first time anyone had shown such interest in my passion.

From that day forward, the boy, An, became my best friend. We spent countless hours together, exploring and learning from each other. His sister, Claire, often joined us, adding her own unique perspective to our discussions.

***

['Present']

Looking back, I realized that it was thanks to An and Claire that I was able to open up and express my emotions, even if only a little. They accepted me for who I was and encouraged me to pursue my passion. They were the first people to see past my calm exterior and understand the depth of my feelings. Because of them, I felt like I could open up to others. Sometimes, it didn't work out. But there were times when it did. Like when I met Orichalcum in my first year.