Episode 9: Assistance

"Phew!" Kanja said as she sat down in her bed

"Tired?" Koukyuu asked.

The silver-haired girl hung her head back. "A bit. This is my first time on a boat, so I'm a little nervous."

"Same," Mira said.

I laughed. "This is also my first time, but I feel fine."

"Probably as you're a water mage," Koukyuu said.

"You didn't cross the sea when picking up Carter?" Kanja asked, sitting up.

I shook my head. "We took a mountain pass instead since we were in Harun."

"I see. Come to think of it, why didn't you stop by Hoin to pick up the guy we're going to get now?

"That's because he wanted to spend more time with his brother and parents since they didn't get to," Koukyuu said.

I lowered my head. Hal and his parents spent most of their Winter Vacation with us, trying to keep us alive. If only I were older and stronger, I might've been able to pull my own weight. But that's why I had to get into Nine Petal! My magic wasn't enough to protect my home or my family. I had to get stronger before H.E.H. expanded to the rest of the region. 

"You okay?" Mira asked.

I jumped up. "On second thought, think that I'll go join the boys!"

Koukyuu turned around. "I better go meet our new member too."

Just then, the door squeaked open. We gasped as silver eyes peered back at us. The owner of the eyes backed up, running off.

"Wrong door?" Kanja asked.

"Probably," I said.

Mira stood up. "Think it's more that we spooked her."

"I agree. Think that girl might be our newest member. I'll go talk to her."

I nodded. "Alright."

Kanja laid her back on the bed again. "Alright. I'll be taking a quick nap."

"It will be quick as we'll arrive very soon," Koukyuu said, staring at her watch.

She grumbled and stood back up. "Now that I've heard that, I don't think I'll be able to sleep anymore."

I snickered. "Want to go fetch the boys with me then? We should study for the exam while we can."

She rubbed her back. "Yeah, you're right. Let's go."

I glanced at the armored girl. "Are you coming too, Mira?"

Mira fidgeted. "I'm not sure if I should. Seems that I'm scaring people."

True, the people in the lobby seemed frightened by her. Some even asked if she was a soldier. She probably made people wonder if there was someone dangerous on board.