Episode 77: Crimson Phoenix Guardian

*Aria*

I leaped back, avoiding the stream of fireballs. Was she only dragging things on for Lei to return? Unfortunately, I couldn't let her. Not when she was using her fire magic. Flame mages' spells grew more potent the longer a battle went on, so long as they still had prana. Adela was an expert at prana control. So she could keep this level of attacks for a long time.

A smirk lined my face. Let's see if you are worthy of being the Crimson Phoenix Guardian, Adela Mu Xian.

I formed a shield, casting Indurare on it. Just in time too, as Adela rushed at me with a flaming kick. I smiled as she failed to make a dent despite her scorching flames.

She clicked her tongue and pulled her leg back. Her fists came at me rapidly. Had she lost all will to win? Attacking my shield straight on wouldn't do her any favors. She was better off trying to sneak up behind me. Guess she truly was only drawing out the fight for Lei's sake.

The High Priestess jumped back and issued another series of blows, this time denting my shield. I held my other hand over it, casting Indurare once more and fixing the weak point. My arm trembled as she recklessly continued to attack me. Like I had suspected, her flames grew more potent the longer she went.

"Lux Draco!" I chanted at the top of my lungs. Light contracted overhead, forming a dragon that shimmered in the colors of the rainbow.

Adela leaped back while simultaneously throwing a dense fireball at me. I dodged it as she slashed my dragon with several swords. The girl's way of fighting truly was bestial. Nothing like what I had expected from a priestess. At least it was not as wild as her display during the games. She was like a completely different person.

"It's over!" I yelled, exploding my shield. The blast sent her reeling. I smiled and took the time to summon my white wand. The one that Nahimana had given me. It transformed into a two-meter spear in my hand.

Adela looked up and stopped my spear with both her hands. Her ruby eyes were as defiant as those of Kun's little brother. Had she learned to fight this way from him?

Flames seeped out of her hands but spread no further. 

"Your flames won't do a thing. This spear is basically pure Orichalcum."

She smirked. "That so?" The temperature of the air around her rapidly increased. The sleeves of her crimson robe even caught on fire despite being made from flame-resistant fabric. 

"H-hey! Stop that! You're going to hurt yourself!"

The High Priestess of Xian continued to smile as the flames grasped my spear tightly. I unhanded it and jumped back. If not for that insane heat, I would have gone in for a kick, knocking her out of bounds.

I gasped as she threw aside my spear. Her flames had melted the shaft away. The mad lady had actually done it! She melted Orichalcum.

Adela swayed back and forth like a drunkard. "That oversized toothpick of yours is nothing compared to the orichalcum knight golems I had to take down in Ratmir's ruins."

W-what, she melted multiple orichalcum armors? I knew she could be a monster in battle, but even this was beyond what I had expected.

I laughed slightly as I drew the melted orichalcum toward her. Solid orichalcum was difficult to control, but melted was a different case. Unfortunately, it was hard to keep it in liquid form in the first place.

Adela sidestepped it, nearly tripping as she did so. She was at her limits. Her flames were starting to produce black smoke. Even for a mage of her skill, melting orichalcum was draining.