Episode 68: Assistance

I walked out and took in a deep breath of crisp air

I walked out and took in a deep breath of crisp air. The stars gave the lantern-lit plaza between the dorms more of a surreal vibe. It reminded me of the Xianian throne room. I'd snuck in there as a kid. Xun had caught me poking my head in but didn't rat me out. He told me that he was also curious when he was my age.

"Wee!" Zephyr said as he and his twin brother floated as if he were in space. How were they doing that? There was no wind.

I gasped. There were traces of prana in the air. They led to a white-haired guy with deep red eyes.

"Hey, aren't you Elliot's friend and Nat's brother?" I asked as the guy got closer.

"Yeah. Name's Alex." He twirled his fingers, lifting his nephews higher.

I smiled. "You're a psychic mage, right? Think you can teach An?" I asked.

Hideo dropped down from the sky with his daughter in one arm and a tray with ice cream cones in the others.

"Ice cream!" the twin boys yelled as they turned. They waved their hands as if they were swimming.

Alex chuckled and set them down.

"Here you go," Hideo said, putting their sister down. He handed each of the three a cone.

"Mine's bigger," Kaze said before licking his cone.

"Papa, I want more," Zephyr mumbled.

"Maybe later. But your brother's wrong. They are the same size. I measured them myself. His has a hollow inside."

"Ahh," Kaze said, frowning.

Zephyr patted him on the back. "We can both get more later."

Kaze smiled and nodded.

"I was going to offer some of mine, but I guess I don't have to," their sister said before licking her ice cream.

"So, what was it that you wanted?" Alex glanced back at me. 

"I was wondering if you could train An to be able to control his psychic powers better."

He tilted his head. "Teach him? Hmm, not sure if I can. I'm not exactly the teacher type."

Hideo patted him on the back. "You should do it. Else you might miss out on a career possibility."

Did Alex have no idea what to do for a living? Wait, wasn't he a noble? Thought they didn't do much unless incognito, like my aunt.

Alex sighed. "Fine, just hope that An isn't the soft type. Else I might make him cry."

Was he a harsh mentor type? Yikes.

"Thanks, Hide," I whispered as I got closer to him.

He shrugged. "It's nothing. I owe your mom anyway."