Episode 112: Xian vs. Xian

*Xiaona*

"Good luck you two," I said, waving as Ning and I walked away.

"Bye," Shu said, waving. He seemed a tad sad. Fighting a friend in the early rounds was usually tough. It was a lot better to face off in the semi-finals or the actual thing. Well, for some, it was tough in general.

"Hey!" I said as I spotted Ling and Lady Adela. They were with my classmates and their own. Come to think of it, we hadn't really made friends with the native students.

"Ona," Li said as I sat next to her.

"Standing on one side of the ring is the pretty boy who makes the hearts of girls and boys alike swoon, Liu Renshu! And on the other side, holy maiden and returnee to this academy, Lin Changying!"

I smiled slightly. "Who are you betting will win, Li?"

Li shrugged. "I don't gamble. For I am too young. Besides, it's not good for my wallet."

I laughed. "As literal minded as always."

"Eh? Is Li like Huo and me?" Cart exclaimed, blinking.

"I don't think so. Think it's just that she's anti-social so her skills aren't as polished as they otherwise would be."

"Especially with those around her age. She can talk just fine with adults," Adela said.

Li shrugged. "Adults have more interesting things to talk about than people my age did growing up."

"Such as?" Kanja asked, leaning toward her.

"Politics," Ling said.

"Politics?" Carter asked, scrunching his nose.

"You never had an interest in them while living at the palace?"

Carter shook his head. "Papa took care of the stuffy stuff. Plus, I was a little kid. Sister was more involved in it than I ever was, even when I was named the heir after her exile."

"I knew a few things since young," Aurelius said, smiling.

Li chuckled. "You'll probably make a better Magus Maximus than Carter then. You're friendly and smart."

Aurelius blushed slightly.

"Oh? Ling's complimenting people? That's a rare sight," I said, chuckling slightly.

Li shot me daggers.

"Complimenting Au while insulting me," Carter said, grumbling as he crossing his arms over his chest.

"Well, you have to admit, Aurelius seems more level headed than you," Kanja said, patting his shoulder.

He pouted. "On whose side are you on, Kan?"

Lei laughed. "I have to agree. Not that any of you kids will become Magus Maximus."

Carter narrowed his eyes at him. "I really wanna fight you one day..."

Hikaru sighed. "Don't let Aurelius fool you, he can drift off as well as you two can."

"Hey!" Lei said, grumbling.

Hikaru snickered. "You can be rather eccentric at times. I'm not even sure if Yen would get you and Kun if you weren't triplets."

"Nor am I," Yen said, patting Lei's head.

Lei smiled slightly.

Yuzuki giggled. "That 'eccentricity' is what makes the triplet boys who they are."

Kun swung his arms behind his head. "Frankly, I enjoy being weird!"

"That alone makes you weird," Yen said, chuckling as she nudged Kun.