Episode 42: Limits

I ducked and flicked the needles that Hal had thrown at me

I ducked and flicked the needles that Hal had thrown at me. It was amazing how my body could still move so well. This wasn't the power of the amethyst that Vermeil gave me, right? She and Hal had only said that it strengthened psychic abilities.

I smiled. Maybe it was a good thing I listened to Yanyu after all and stayed back in Xian a few extra days for rehabilitation. Then again, I was using my psychic powers to enhance my movements much like Lei tended to do with his electricity. So it might've been the amethyst's doing all along.

Hal gritted his teeth and brandished a knife. He flung it at me but it bounced off of my armor.

"Maybe I should've brought some armor of my own," Hal said, clicking his tongue. He threw his hands toward his needles and yanked them up.

Shivers ran up my body. There were strings attached to those. Meaning I couldn't duck as the strings would fall over me. I would have to slice them if I had no choice but to let them fly past me.

I clenched my sword, poured my prana into it, and jumped back. "Hope your brother is watching closely," I said, smiling.

Hal scoffed. "Trying to embarrass me in front of Jude? Like I'll let you!"

"What? No! I mean so that he can learn a spell or two."

Hal laughed as he moved his fingers, causing the needles to move up and down like the tail of an anxious monkey.

"I know, just kidding. You really have to try to be less gullible," he said as he vanished.

I jumped forward and just in time too as his needles rained down where I had stood.

"Psyche Draco!" I chanted. Pink prana flew out of my ivory sword, turning into a giant dragon. The same one I had ridden during my meetings with Sarah and Jude.

Hal jumped back as the dragon ripped through his string and needles.

My spell raised its head like a basilisk and struck him in the abdomen, sending him flying into the air.

Hal stabbed it with his knife, causing the energy within it to leak out. He jumped off and slashed at its body repeatedly. Some of them were too fast for my mind to process.

He dashed forward and slammed his hands against my chest, pushing me back.

"So quick!" I yelled, looking behind me. He wasn't as fast as Aria, but it was still challenging to keep up with him.

I coughed out blood as his knee met my stomach. He'd tricked me.

Using my sword as a walking stick, I pushed myself up.

Hal ripped my sword from my hands using his wires, causing me to fall.

"Seems you're still too frail," Hal said, sighing.

"Don't underestimate me," I said as I reached a hand forward.

Hal glanced at my sword and watched as it shook back and forth as it came closer to me.