Episode 51: The Lines Are Drawn

I narrowed my eyes at Carter

I narrowed my eyes at Carter. Big mouth!

Renshu sighed and walked up to me. "You really have to be more careful. Don't you remember what happened when you fell into the river?"

I crossed my arms. "I was fine at the end! I awakened my water magic."

"Hey, can't you train Lidia?" Huo blurted out. He cupped his mouth.

Why did he talk all of a sudden? Oh well, this was my chance!

"Yeah, I can."

I felt my brother's glare on my back. "Li, I'm not done talking to you."

"Hmph. Does it really matter? I was going to use my magic to push myself up if I missed."

"What if you hadn't missed the boat and instead hit it at a wrong angle?" a voice called out. I gasped as Her Highness made her way toward us.

"L-lady Adela."

Renshu smiled and stepped away.

"You make a good point," I said, sighing. "But, I would've used my vines instead of my water magic."

She shook her head. "You really are as reckless as Lei and that boy behind you."

I turned around and saw Carter. "I'm nothing like him!"

Carter frowned. "Y-yeah, y-you're grumpy and I'm not!"

I rolled my eyes.

Adela scoffed. "I beg to differ. You two are more similar than you think." She smiled. "But that might be why you hit it off back at the test site."

"We didn't hit it off!" we snapped in unison.

Nate chuckled. "I understand Ling, but why are you adamantly denying it, Cart?"

He looked down. "W-well, she's a meanie even if she is cute."

My cheeks reddened. "I don't care if you find me cute or mean!"

Renshu frowned. "If you like my sister then you have to be less reckless and keep her out of trouble!"

"I-I don't!" Carter said, raising his hands.

He smiled. "Oh, good. I was worried about her pairing off with a guy as reckless as her or worse."

I scoffed. "Brother, who gave you permission to decide who I am up with? If anyone should be pairing up the other, it's me! You have no girlfriend and you won't if you continue to dress like that."

Renshu scoffed. "I'm actually quite popular with the ladies because of this, you know."

"Maybe I should dress up as a girl," Carter mumbled.

"Please don't," Huo said, shivering.

I smiled. If I had to pick between the three, I would've preferred him or Nate.