Episode 23: Last Man Standing

I cupped my hands and gathered the cooled air around me

I cupped my hands and gathered the cooled air around me. Now was my chance to finish Carter off.

"Glacies Spica!" I yelled. Multiple ice spikes flew out of my hands.

Carter took a deep breath and sidestepped the first and the second and so on. How could he move like that? Wasn't he running out of prana? Wait, he had stopped using his magic entirely. This was entirely the doing of his physical prowess.

My opponent slammed his arm against a spike that had gotten too close. Using his left hand, he grabbed another incoming projectile. Both of the ice spikes melted into water as soon as they touched him.

His body had that much heat? Hmm, come to think of it, it did take me a while to heal him the other day.

Carter smiled as he finished off the last of my spikes. "Thanks for the cooldown." He pointed his hands toward the floor and ran toward me. A stream of explosions trailed behind where his hands had passed over.

He was merely overheating earlier? I jumped back and created a giant ice wall between us. Carter raised his arms and caused a torrent of flames to erupt from the ground. They were smaller than those Huo had used but no less impressive.

So, his magic was never weak. He just couldn't control the output. Or maybe he didn't get to awaken his true potential until now. Not that his body could handle the intensity of it.

My research backfired on me. I had to come up with another plan. No, I couldn't, not with Carter pursuing me like this.

"Jude!" a voice called out. I glanced at the audience and saw Hal waving his arms at me. Beside him was An.

"Brother?" I called out. He did say that he might watch my match.

"Think on your toes, little brother!"

Think on my toes? How could I do that? Doing things on the fly while discarding the plan entirely was his thing, not mine.

Carter grinned as he stomped the ground, shattering several of the tiles around him. My body flew back as the floor underfoot gave in.

"Got you now!" Carter said as he towered in front of me with a raised fist. "No hard feelings, kid, but I have to win this for Rob."

I gritted my teeth and crossed my arms. My ice failed, but I still had my psychic powers! Carter's fist stopped like it had before. My left foot swept the floor, knocking him back. He grumbled as he hit the floor, wincing.

I smiled and raised a hand covered in a pink aura at his neck. "The tables have turned," I said.

Carter chuckled. "It appears like it, but-" Air left my lungs as his hands struck my chest, sending me flying in a straight line toward the barrier.

I coughed up blood as I stopped my ascent with my telekinesis. No, I'd let my guard down again!

My opponent took a deep breath and spread out his arms and legs.